Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't want VoIP

• 12-03-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Is there a broadband and phone provider in Ireland which offer new broadband and phone package without VoIP protocol but "old" wall connection?
    Digiweb could have it but overcharges €10/month :eek:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why? All phone voice traffic these days is eventually converted to some sort of VoIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

I was waiting "why?" Curious? Easy,
    I have my own modem/router with open source firmware, OpenWRT and tweak it as I need; connect and share printer, storage, add cron job, etc. I could have it off when I work on it. It doesn't have VoIP.
    In the other hand provider devices have proprietary firmware, usually don't work with GNU/Linux.

Now, you know, do you have an answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

I've my answer :)
    I was asking out of curiosity, but also if I know why maybe I'll be able to suggest something that helps. Like is using the router provided in modem mode and use your router as you see fit. If my why? inconvenienced you, I'm so sorry ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

But... WHY?

Trompette wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Is there a broadband and phone provider in Ireland which offer new broadband and phone package without VoIP protocol but "old" wall connection?
    Digiweb could have it but overcharges €10/month :eek:

Thanks

Okay I just had to have a moment :D

Vodafone and Eir offer FTTC without VoIP. Both modems come with VoIP capability but you'll need to tell them in advance.

Best option would be to consider bridging the modem because most ISPs won't let you override their own firmware. (or get your own VDSL modem and just disregard the VoIP setup).

• Advertisement

@ Cordell, your suggestion looks good. I'll try with the Huawei F2000 eir what I can do and if I can't do all I'll connect my TP-Link TD-W8970 with OpenWRT on it.
    Don't bother, I was teasing you ;)

@ Mr. G; Are you certain eir offers a FTCC without VoIP but phone on the wall socket? I called them and didn't propose it. Do you have a link for that? I'll call them again. If I can get that I'll keep my TP-Link

Thanks you both

Trompette wrote: »
    @ Cordell, your suggestion looks good. I'll try with the Huawei F2000 eir what I can do and if I can't do all I'll connect my TP-Link TD-W8970 with OpenWRT on it.
    Don't bother, I was teasing you ;)

@ Mr. G; Are you certain eir offers a FTCC without VoIP but phone on the wall socket? I called them and didn't propose it. Do you have a link for that? I'll call them again. If I can get that I'll keep my TP-Link

Thanks you both

If you're getting VDSL you'll need a compatible VDSL modem.

Eir as far as I know provide a phone service over landline most of the time for FTTC and broadband over modem. The modem also supports VoIP but don't think it's used - it may be used in the future.

In order to use a custom VDSL modem and may need to check the ISP - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057632871

Most ISPs won't support other modems on VDSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Soooo....

Different products spouting the same/similar name causes confusion here but I'll try and clear it up:

Eir:
    ADSL: Always comes with POTS except some old BBTalk lines which will have a different modem (2247NWG/F1000) to everyone else
    VDSL: Comes as standard with POTS (at least it has until recently) but can be ported to VOIP if needed
    FTTH: Always VOIP unless ordered with POTS (more expensive wholesale, probably passed to you)

Other providers may vary but Vodafone follow Eir AFAIK.

The TD-W8970 could be used but you'll need to bridge out the ISP provided gear and then configure the TD to dial out with IPoE/PPPoE. Its lack of support for WAN VLANs makes it useless for FTTH.

Does an ATA not solve all your issues with VOIP though?

In my country home, Eir provides FTTC with VoIP as default.
    I asked to have PSTN/POTS, they agreed but with 7-15 days without phone but with Internet.
    It should be the same price.
    I am in the process.

Eir modem Huawei F2000 (HG659b) has of course VoIP but can't be hack with OpenWRT.
    My TD-W8970 was working fine with Vodafone VDSL and works with Eir but I don't know if it is optimized as the settings don't have the same name. I am not very skilled in WAN.
    Maybe some one here could tell me how to set it the best way? I could provide the setting in Eir modem and you could tell me what setting in TD-W8970.
    Let me know
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

I have used Eircom f1000 and f2000 with tomato ddwrt fine for years.
    You just need to google " bridging and modem model "
    Bridge eircom modem and plug your TD-W8970 into its LAN port .

Some deals now include phone number and its cheaper that way as eircom is trying to encourage people to keep the landline.
    I have one, never used it and dont know the number, I do have an ATA for my dublin 01 landline number.

VOIP has the advantage of portability, as you can bring your ATA to anywhere in the world, plug it into the internet and you have your Irish Landline number with you working.

I've used the Cisco ATA https://www.senetic.ie/product/SPA122 .
    This plugs into your TD-W8970.

• Advertisement
Advertisement