Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem not compatible with Windows 10

Options
  • 12-03-2018 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and found my Meteor/Eir modem (Huawei E173, bought in 2011) doesn't work with it. I bought a newer modem (Huawei E5577C) which does work, but it's much slower. This network really suits my needs and I don't want to change if I can help it. Does anyone know of software I could download to make the old modem work with Windows 10?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

never heard of OS being realted to network issues, how are you connecting wirelesly? 2.4 or 5hz?
    any details on what doesnt work and what leads you to belive this is OS related?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is this the one that you have?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E173-Modem-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B004W6N1VI

If it is, it's probably a driver issue with Windows 10. A quick google shows others having problems too. It really is an ancient thing, terrible speeds. I'd leave it to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

my bad, thought this was a wireless modem, not a usb dongle

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 173 is the very first version of "3G", really really really slow. Bin it.

Use the E5577C's 5Ghz network, should be many times faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, the old dongle plugs straight into the USB port, it's the one at Alanstrainor's link. I can't understand why the new one is slower, it's 4G and should be much faster. Any ideas on why the new modem might not be working at its best? The wifi icon shows the signal is at full strength.

Howyegettinon, I don't know whether it's 2.4 or 5 GHz (and I don't know how to find out), but I think this modem can work on either frequency. I know it's the OS that's the problem with the old one, because the guys in the Eir shop told me it doesn't work with Windows 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Stop connecting with USB.
    If this is a new laptop it more than likely has wifi.

Connect to the new modem using its wireless network and then put the modem in front of a window.
    You should see much better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

It's also possible that the 3G signal in your area gives a better data connection than the 4G one.
    I sometimes have to drop to 3G here to get anything done.

You should find a settings page on the modem control panel, and if you choose to connect with 3G only you may see performance more like your older device.

It might also be worthwhile downloading the Huawei Mobile Partner and Driver Update Tool.
    It should get you a set of drivers even for Win10 that will support any of their modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks Niall, I've just disconnected it and it works better. I'll check out the Huawei drivers as well, it would be no harm to be able to keep the old modem as a back-up.

Advertisement