Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extext

Options
  • 12-03-2018 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one. Ex of over 8 years texted me at 12.30 am Sat night. Starts out speaking in riddles. Then asks me did I ever love him!? I said I did. Then asks do I love him now. I reply, "not in that way" (which I don't, I didn't want to be too blunt about it though, that's long in the past for me).
    Bit of a shock to get out of the blue, he's married now and I assumed contented in that relationship. Also think drink was involved in the whole thing. I have absolutely no interest in being anything other than friends. Anyone else experience anything similar? After 8 years it puzzled me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

extext wrote: »
    Also think drink was involved in the whole thing.

It was definitely this or else he was having a breakdown. Either way just ignore it or tell him not to be texting us that drivel when he's drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

racso1975 wrote: »
    It was definitely this or else he was having a breakdown. Either way just ignore it or tell him not to be texting us that drivel when he's drunk

Yea I just a bit worried that something was wrong. I wouldn’t want him to do anything stupid. It’s obvious he’s unhappy or going through a bad time just now so didn’t want to add to that by being too blunt but I gave him the message that I’ve zero interest in that sense.
    Defo drink id say, he wasn’t an alco but was fond of drink always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators Posts: 13,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It was obviously drink fuelled. He may have had a row with his partner (couples fight). She may have said something to annoy him and he decided to check with his exes... You don't know you are the only one to get the text.

Whatever the reason for it. It is irrelevant. You got a drunk text from someone you used to know. I'd be fairly sure he's not pondering it as much as you are.

Unless of course you got a sober text the next morning telling you he still loves you and wants to be together for ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

He was obviously hammered and the match was on so was probably drinking all day.

Block his number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Tip - if you get a late night text from an ex, dont reply until the next day. Its never a good idea, doubly so if there is any mention of the past.

Id say you are far too soft. I say this because after 8 years you feel you "didnt want to be too blunt" about the fact that you didnt love him any more "in that way", despite the fact that he is now married. Why on earth would you not be that blunt?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Drunk, horny, fishing for a bit on the side is my guess. Steer well clear and pity the wife.

Be very clear in any subsequent texts to him because anything less than that could well be construed as you also flirting and generally the third party often get the blame rather than the spouse. You don't have to be rude, but you don't have to tip-toe around feelings either. A simple "You are married. Asking me that is inappropriate and unfair to your wife" is perfectly reasonable and not rude to say.

It happens a lot. people get bored and browse their contacts, pick out those who might be soft enough willing to put up with their waffle. It's almost never a case of them pining for the one they let slip away but more that life has gotten a bit boring or humdrum and they are looking for a bit of excitement in addition to what they have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭redfox123

Forward the message to his wife. Good grief these 'men' are pathetic.

Advertisement