Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DK2 Question...

Options
  • 12-03-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭

I was given a DK2
    New to oculus myself - the camera part of the setup is missing... so I have just the goggles and attached USB and HDMI wires.

so my question is can I do anything with what I have - ie. no camera attached...? I would like if it could at least be used as a 3D movie player without the motion since that parts missing...

When i connect it to the pc I am getting some input devices listed in device manager.

When I press the single button on the goggles - a yellow light blinks then goes out.... nothing lights up or shows in the goggles. I have installed no software yet...

Any hints what to do next?

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

ozmo wrote: »
    I was given a DK2
    New to oculus myself - the camera part of the setup is missing... so I have just the goggles and attached USB and HDMI wires.

so my question is can I do anything with what I have - ie. no camera attached...? I would like if it could at least be used as a 3D movie player without the motion since that parts missing...

When i connect it to the pc I am getting some input devices listed in device manager.

When I press the single button on the goggles - a yellow light blinks then goes out.... nothing lights up or shows in the goggles. I have installed no software yet...

Any hints what to do next?
    You might want to see if you can get that missing tracker..as feom what I can tell its an uphill struggle to use the DK2 without it.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/49182/will-the-new-positional-tracker-work-with-my-dk2

ill post later (on the phone here so cant check) but possibly something like openvr or driver4vr might work..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ill post later (on the phone here so cant check) but possibly something like openvr or driver4vr might work..

Thanks for that :) I will look into those options tonight
    - is it normal though for there to be just a black screen in the goggles and no power on light? I was assuming there would be some green led, a welcome splash screen or something to say its booting?

“Roll it back”

Bearing in mind I dont have a Dk2 (I've an old DK1), so possibly a DK2 owner could clarify.
    its tricky , without the right occulus software the PC is probably going to pick it up as a spare monitor and a couple of odd USb devices.
    if you want to try and get it detected maybe start with this
    https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-sdk-for-windows/

Just an update on this- I installed the drivers but they wouldn’t install fully- stopped while looking for the camera sensor.

What didn’t work:
    No store games or demos will play complain camera is missing
    Errors in all steam games saying setup is incomplete.
    No sound in steam
    Couldn’t click on anything in Rift game lobby as dk2 is discontinued - VR store had messages in store remind you of this

What worked:
    The VR game lobby was accessible
    BigScreen virtual cinema worked perfectly as a third party steam app- you can even play steam games on the virtual cinema screen - very cool

I’m going try unity support next -

Any other good third party apps I can try?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You might be able to do something with OSVR (opensource VR framework that allows unsupported devices to talk to steamVR)

I googled "using dk2 with osvr" and found this: https://github.com/simlrh/OSVR-OpenHMD

If you could get the DK2 working with OSVR then OSVR should be able to pass the device into steamVR..in theory :D

• Advertisement

Cool - I got a lot working since last post-

Without the camera - you cannot launch the apps from the Oculus Store - it says driver setup incomplete.

however - if you search for the .exe's on the harddrive - I was able to launch all the apps just by running these directly - so I created shortcuts on the desktop and can now play without a camera...

Lucky tales and Dark Days(using an xbox controller), as well as lots others.

Some games only partially (probably because its not a CV1):
    eg. Google Earth VR (demos play slide show - I can look around each scene - but I cannot move)

Some games still not working at all:
    Minecraft

Does anyone know whats the camera is for anyway? What would it add to the experience me having the full kit? ta.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The camera tracks the headset so you can move around,Huge difference not having it unfortunately. Basically you have google cardboard without it.

Skatedude wrote: »
    The camera tracks the headset so you can move around,Huge difference not having it unfortunately.

One thing I guess I might be missing - is that at any app/game launch - the direction the headset is pointing is assumed to be forward. So its a good idea for me to look at the pc screen before launching the game...

As long as I play sitting only games - looking around, head tilt etc. all seem to work perfectly and are extremely accurate.

The way the Oculus takes up your full field of view (unlike google cardboard) is extremely impressive :)

“Roll it back”

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ... possibly something like openvr or driver4vr might work..

Update: Driver4VR was a very amusing demo - it uses an XBox kinect sensor to give you a virtual hands and feet control. Havnt found a suitable game for it though. Its very alpha hacky software to be expecting payment for.

But - the guy I got it from found the missing piece - the VR camera for the monitor - but the drivers still will not install fully -

It says Camera is fine now - but USB and HDMI device not detected.

If I skip the installation most things work - so I dont think the hardware is faulty...

Has anyone with a DK2 managed to install this using the current drivers?

Or is there a special Old version of the drivers I can install. The only drivers I have is just a loader that downloads 4Gigs of data from internet.

My problem is just like this (not my screenshot- but same problem)
    45ta96h60cym.png

ta.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Update: Driver4VR was a very amusing demo - it uses an XBox kinect sensor to give you a virtual hands and feet control. Havnt found a suitable game for it though. Its very alpha hacky software to be expecting payment for.

But - the guy I got it from found the missing piece - the VR camera for the monitor - but the drivers still will not install fully -

It says Camera is fine now - but USB and HDMI device not detected.

If I skip the installation most things work - so I dont think the hardware is faulty...

Has anyone with a DK2 managed to install this using the current drivers?

Or is there a special Old version of the drivers I can install. The only drivers I have is just a loader that downloads 4Gigs of data from internet.

My problem is just like this (not my screenshot- but same problem)

ta.

I have a dk2 and can play most things. As far as i can remember, you're supposed to skip the setup at that stage.

And you say most things work? So everything works?

• Advertisement

The one thing that the driver4vr did though as well as that , is use a 360 camera to headtrack (i.e. the thing the Dk2 camera is doing) for older/cheaper VR setups and passing the data on to steamvr, having said that I had a nightmare of a time getting it to work (Dk1) and the dev seems to be more interested in the full body demo stuff now rather than fixing it , which is a pity

Advertisement