Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no coordination between train/bus and bus/ferry

Options
  • 11-03-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I travel often to Bere Island in Co Cork and to Cliffs of Moher.

I travel from near Athlone. But...

The first bus from Galway to Cliffs of Moher leaves 15 minutes before the first train arrives from my station of Clara which is on the main line from Dublin.

The first ferry from Bere Island arrives in Castletownbere 15 minutes after the only bus that would get me into Cork to catch a train home has left Castletownbere.

Making both these journeys impossible in one day by public transport.

Surely it would not be so difficult to coordinate different modes of transport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

They are separate companies and this is Ireland- efficiency does not come naturally to most of us it seems.
    The transfer to both of those places are fairly niche I'd imagine. Have you ever contacted those that run those services to highlight the issues? Could the times be slightly adjusted? Though I am aware there could be knock on consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But if they changed the times to suit you then someone else would miss their connection because the bus is now leaving earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think there is a general problem with trying to use a train to arrive early at any place other than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Ah come on now I thought this thread would be about the Rosslare Ferries to France and England not some random ferry to Bere Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

When you local station is more less a village its not at all practial to have connections to everything. Then you need to consider the numbers connecting to such places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Ah come on now I thought this thread would be about the Rosslare Ferries to France and England not some random ferry to Bere Island.

you're the thousandth person to be told there's no demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I travel often to Bere Island in Co Cork and to Cliffs of Moher.

I travel from near Athlone. But...

The first bus from Galway to Cliffs of Moher leaves 15 minutes before the first train arrives from my station of Clara which is on the main line from Dublin.

The first ferry from Bere Island arrives in Castletownbere 15 minutes after the only bus that would get me into Cork to catch a train home has left Castletownbere.

Making both these journeys impossible in one day by public transport.

Surely it would not be so difficult to coordinate different modes of transport?

For every possible journey from every small village to a remote island, yes it would.

Besides your first journey is possible by changing at Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

It's not Random for the 180 people who live on Bere island and need to go to Hospital appointments in Cork.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    For every possible journey from every small village to a remote island, yes it would.

Besides your first journey is possible by changing at Oranmore.

The first train to Galway I mention starts in Dublin although it stops in my town on the way. People in Dublin cannot avail of the first bus to Cliffs of Moher from Galway.

Yes the train stops in Oranmore but the bus does not, even though it goes past Oranmore station and there is no other transport between the train station and the bus stop in Oranmore town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

The first train to Galway I mention starts in Dublin although it stops in my town on the way. People in Dublin cannot avail of the first bus to Cliffs of Moher from Galway.

Yes the train stops in Oranmore but the bus does not, even though it goes past Oranmore station and there is no other transport between the train station and the bus stop in Oranmore town.

Travelling by train from Dublin you can be in Ennis half an hour before the 10:30 350 bus that serves the Cliffs of Moher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Official Ireland is more likely to fix that than to fix train/ferry connections. Why aren't you flying Ryanair? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Lucky then there is a second, third, fourth and fifth bus which can all be connected to in Galway from Dublin by Bus Eireann, Go-bus or Citylink.

The earlier train from Athlone also arrives in plenty of time for the 10am bus and as pointed out connecting in Ennis is also an option.

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1477574876-350.pdf

Bus clearly stops in Oranmore, 15 minutes after train arrival and it passes by the main road outside the train station.

I am getting the impression you want to complain more than you want to make the actual journey.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Lucky then there is a second, third, fourth and fifth bus which can all be connected to in Galway from Dublin by Bus Eireann, Go-bus or Citylink.

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1477574876-350.pdf

Bus clearly stops in Oranmore, 15 minutes after train arrival and it passes by the main road outside the train station.

I am getting the impression you want to complain more than you want to make the actual journey.

Well your impression is wrong. Yes I am complaining though. I am complaining about the lack of coordination between bus rail and ferry services in Ireland.

I stood outside Oranmore station and signalled clearly to the driver to stop and he drove straight past the three of us waiting in the layby.

There is not enough time to get to the bus stop in Oranmore town from the train station to catch this bus. Why is there no bus stop at Oranmore train station?

We did not start our journey in Dublin, we started from Clara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Well your impression is wrong. Yes I am complaining though. I am complaining about the lack of coordination between bus rail and ferry services in Ireland.

I stood outside Oranmore station and signalled clearly to the driver to stop and he drove straight past the three of us waiting in the layby.

There is not enough time to get to the bus stop in Oranmore town from the train station to catch this bus. Why is there no bus stop at Oranmore train station?

We did not start our journey in Dublin, we started from Clara.

It is a shame that you have had to defend yourself for making a legitimate comment. Complaining indeed.

Advertisement