Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spark from GU10

Options
  • 11-03-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help/advise.

Came home and switched (Dimmer switch) on my hall lights us. The 2nd sparked and the slights in the hall went out.

Check box and seen that it had tripped so reset it. Now none of the lights work.

On this fuse is the alarm and heating and both are working but the lights in the hall are not.

It's a dual dimmer switch one for the hall lights downstairs (that blew) and one for the upstairs landing lights which are working.

I've removed the light that sparked and still the lights don't work.

See attached pics.

Question,

What can I chexk to see if so can get them back working?
    Could they have all blown or is it a fuse gone?

Thanks for any help
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's possible when the lamp failed it also damaged the dimmer switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

First thing to do is if you have another GU10 thats working elsewhere in the house swap it in to see if somehow all the lamps are blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

salmocab wrote: »
    First thing to do is if you have another GU10 thats working elsewhere in the house swap it in to see if somehow all the lamps are blown.

I'll try that. As I was saying it is a dual dimmer switch and the upstairs are working. Could it damage just the one side of the dimmer switch that controls the downstairs lights and not damage the side that controls the upstairs?

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    I'll try that. As I was saying it is a dual dimmer switch and the upstairs are working. Could it damage just the one side of the dimmer switch that controls the downstairs lights and not damage the side that controls the upstairs?

Yeah absolutely they are 2 separate dimmers just happen to be on the same plate

I've also removed the light that sparked and none of the other lights are switching on. To me it's the dimmer switch that might have been damaged of it's possible to damage downstairs side and not damage the upstairs side of the dimmer.

• Advertisement

Actually upstairs lights turn on but can't dim them so it looking like the dimmer was damaged

Ok, I'll replace it tomorrow. Is it ok to leave be the way it is. Working nights and family will be here on there own.

Its unusual, Id take the opportunity to change to LED lamps if your going to have to change the dimmer anyway

I've alot of hue stuff. But the hall lights are old GU10

Any suggestions on the best dimmable GU10 or even cheap smart ones that work with Hue bridge.

Also any suggestions on a good dimmer or is there such a thing?!

Dont know about the HUE but I remember someone saying the IKEA ones are good and relatively cheap, dimmer wise just ask in an electrical wholesalers they will sort you.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Dont know about the HUE but I remember someone saying the IKEA ones are good and relatively cheap, dimmer wise just ask in an electrical wholesalers they will sort you.

Actually yeah I remember now. It's the IKEA ones I was thinking about. I'll head to wholesaler tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Cheers,
    BobbyT28

Replaced dimmer switch this morning. All back working. Got the second set of wires mixed up and couldn't remember which was L1 or L2 that I removed from old switch. Any connected it and it worked then I swapped around the cables and it still worked.

Is that ok? It's a two switch check both switches upstairs and in hall and all working.

Thanks for your help
    BobbyT28

That should be fine they can go either way

Advertisement