Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice eating electric cable

Options
  • 11-03-2018 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I think mice have eaten some of the electrical cable I my attic, can this be repaired with electrical tape or does it have to be replaced.TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd be getting an electrician in, depending on the damage, it could be a fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

kerdiff wrote: »
    can this be repaired with electrical tape
    Absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

Why not. Well, I know it cant really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think mice have eaten some of the electrical cable I my attic, can this be repaired with electrical tape or does it have to be replaced.TIA.

Anyway it would not be a great fix with the tape at all. Have you photos of the damage you could put up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That depends on the extent of the damage. If it is minor enough insulation tape may be ok.

What you need to think about is tackling the source of the problem, rodents. There is no point in just repairing the damage you see, if you still have rodents they could be causing damage where you can’t see it.

In my opinion:
    Step 1: Get rid of rodents
    Step 2: Prevent rodents getting back in so much as is possible. Set trap y’all over the attic.
    Step 3: Get the installation tested by an electrician that you trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Some cat 5 cable should solve the mice problem ;)

Advertisement