Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Irish guys consider dating an Australian girl?

Options
  • 11-03-2018 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone,

I am from Australia and I absolutely love Ireland, I'm a redhead so I felt extremely welcomed there (reds get a lot of flack in Australia). I also have Irish heritage, so Ireland definitely feels like home to me. 

I am wondering whether Irish guys would consider dating an Australian girl? I know long distance is difficult, but if the intention was to either move to Ireland or for them to move to Australia, I was hoping it could work out. 

I am wondering what the view of foreign girls are in Ireland? Are they generally seen as hit it and quit it, or do some men give them a shot if they really like them?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Being Australian is not an issue. Being 10,000km away on the other hand... I could see that being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 K0KIRI

Oink wrote: »
    Being Australian is not an issue. Being 10,000km away on the other hand... I could see that being an issue.
    Yes, I thought as much. But if I met the right man, I wouldn't mind moving over at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Say there would be guys queuing up ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

How old are you? You probably have some fantasy idea of Ireland and Irish men in your head that aren’t real. I’ve lived in many countries and people tend to be the same everywhere. I would focus on your life where you are now instead of indulging this fantasy.
    Also, there are literally 10s of 1000s of Irish people living in Australia. Stick your head in an Irish bar at closing time and come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Ahh closing time in an irish bar thats definetly the spot to start you'll definitely get a bit of the irish charm there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I definitely believe you

LoMismo wrote: »
    How old are you? You probably have some fantasy idea of Ireland and Irish men in your head that aren’t real. I’ve lived in many countries and people tend to be the same everywhere. I would focus on your life where you are now instead of indulging this fantasy.
    Also, there are literally 10s of 1000s of Irish people living in Australia. Stick your head in an Irish bar at closing time and come back to us.
    I'm 24. What type of fantasy do you think I have? :ermm: I just love the culture there, the people and Ireland in general, don't think that's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

K0KIRI wrote: »
    I'm 24. What type of fantasy do you think I have? :ermm: I just love the culture there, the people and Ireland in general, don't think that's a bad thing.

Have you ever been to Ireland? The culture isn't really representative of day to day life here......

• Administrators Posts: 13,863 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you love Ireland, then your plan should be to move here, regardless of whether or not you're dating someone from here. It would be very difficult to date someone from the other side of the world and get to know them enough to decide to uproot your life for them and relocate. That also puts a lot of pressure on the relationship.

Move here if you want it so much. THEN start dating.

eviltwin wrote: »

Have you ever been to Ireland? The culture isn't really representative of day to day life here......
    Yes I have

• Advertisement

If you love Ireland, then your plan should be to move here, regardless of whether or not you're dating someone from here. It would be very difficult to date someone from the other side of the world and get to know them enough to decide to uproot your life for them and relocate. That also puts a lot of pressure on the relationship.

Move here if you want it so much. THEN start dating.
    Ok, good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pohappiness

Ok, good advice

Bad advice from a mod, I’d say!! Lol Standards are slipping on this forum perhaps.

OP the world has gone such a weird world you could probably advertise that post and many guys would be interested, it’s a digital age after all. Anything is possible with a positive attitude:) start by getting here and the rest will follow. Disregard ignorant people 😀

Ok, good advice

Bad advice from a mod, I’d say!! Lol Standards are slipping on this forum perhaps.

OP the world has gone such a weird world you could probably advertise that post and many guys would be interested, it’s a digital age after all. Anything is possible with a positive attitude:) start by getting here and the rest will follow. Disregard ignorant people 😀
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If I wasn’t already in a relationship/engaged I would love to date a girl like Olympia Valance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

K0KIRI wrote:
    I'm 24. What type of fantasy do you think I have? :ermm: I just love the culture there, the people and Ireland in general, don't think that's a bad thing.

I found Melbourne to be very similar in culture to Dublin at least. Go to Melbourne and throw a potato due west and it will hit an Irish man......

khaldrogo wrote: »
    K0KIRI wrote:
    I'm 24. What type of fantasy do you think I have? :ermm: I just love the culture there, the people and Ireland in general, don't think that's a bad thing.

I found Melbourne to be very similar in culture to Dublin at least. Go to Melbourne and throw a potato due west and it will hit an Irish man......

😂 Oh wow

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OP the world has gone such a weird world you could probably advertise that post and many guys would be interested, it’s a digital age after all. Anything is possible with a positive attitude:) start by getting here and the rest will follow. Disregard ignorant people ��

Mod:

Giving advice is welcome. Taking pot-shots at others, and being calling them ignorant is NOT welcome and will earn you a ban from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Permabear hit on some points that I was going to make. I've seen a few very sad threads on this forum from people who've fallen in love with someone who's from another country. Problem is, they love them but can't cope with the homesickness/being away from their family.
    I think you could do with reading a couple of these threads (Mods:I hope it's OK to link to old threads)

Australian missing home I'm pretty sure the Australian lady in question later posted another thread and came to the decision that she had to end her marriage and go home

Torn between home and my girlfriend

The point is, the issue of moving permanently to another country is not something to be dismissed lightly. It can and does cause heartbreak if one of the people in the relationship isn't OK with moving away forever. And having seen what happens when it goes wrong, the ramifications are significant.

You sound like a tourist, I'm afraid. The red hair comment is like something straight out of Hollywood Cliches Volume 1. And nobody over here cares what your heritage is. You'll always be an Australian to us. I bet you came here on a holiday in the summertime when everywhere looks nice and you were treated well. You don't have the slightest idea what living in Ireland is really like and you really should do your research before you make any decisions. It might be worth taking a look at the Living Abroad forum here on boards, especially the coming home forum. The experiences of people who came home and left again are eye opening in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Of course they would OP why not? It's all about meeting the right person for you and take it from there.
    I find the ladies accent from Australia quite sexy to be Frank, I'm sure others will too!

Anyway good luck on your search and hope it works out.

• Advertisement

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Of course they would OP why not? It's all about meeting the right person for you and take it from there.
    I find the ladies accent from Australia quite sexy to be Frank, I'm sure others will too!

Anyway good luck on your search and hope it works out.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

I would. I did. I married her ten years ago, and moved over to Oz almost six years ago.

Wedgie wrote: »
    I would.  I did. I married her ten years ago, and moved over to Oz almost six years ago.
    That's so sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thespoofer wrote:
    Of course they would OP why not?

They might date an Australian living in Ireland but one still living in Australia? I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

By the looks of things she is only interested in hearing the "happy ever after" stories and has no interest in the potential down sides.

By the looks of things she is only interested in hearing the "happy ever after" stories and has no interest in the potential down sides.

Oh no, I am perfectly aware that things may not work out, however I am trying to think positively and see the potential upsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Would you not try to date one of the many irish guys over in Australia??

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭heretothere

I think your best bet is either to date an Irish lad in Australia or come here and work for a while. It's very easy for Australians to get a working holiday visa, or as you said you have Irish heritage if one of your grandparents was Irish you can get a 4 year visa I think. It would (in my opinion) be very difficult to develop a strong enough relationship purely on the internet to base such a big decision on. But maybe join a dating website and contact some Irish fellas to see what you think of them!

Irish fellas are a bit different to Aussies I found anyway. I mostly lived in rural Queensland though which is different to the cities I know. I found Aussie lads all wanted serious girlfriends and to even get married/ start families in their early/ mid 20s. Majority of Irish guys that age will not be looking for that sort of commitment. The average age of Irish men getting married is 35, just something to consider if that was in your plans.

Either way I think you should come move to Ireland! Your early 20s are a great time to get out there and travel the world, experience a difference culture. But one that isn't so different that you would struggle to 'fit in' I found it easy to get on in Australia anyway.

Irish people do get flack for having red hair too! Well my fiance does anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I am surprised that as a redhead you felt more welcomed in Ireland, as a redhead myself with two red haired children (all living in Australia) I find that Australians are much more complimentary about red hair than any Irish person ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

What is your actual plan? To chat to Irish guys online and hope for a long distance relationship to blossom?

I've never done a long distance relationship, but from everything I've heard, they're HARD. And that's usually from people who have much less distance between them than you would have with someone in Ireland. Think of the time difference alone... it would be extremely difficult to organise a real time conversations. And it's not like could just pop over to each other the odd weekend. I think this would be a very foolish idea.

As others have said, if you like Irish guys so much, try meeting some that are already IN Australia!
    I am from Australia and I absolutely love Ireland, I'm a redhead so I felt extremely welcomed there (reds get a lot of flack in Australia). I also have Irish heritage, so Ireland definitely feels like home to me.

This is very naïve :rolleyes: Hair colour should not factor into this decision (and redheads can get a hard time here too anyway!). Regardless of your Irish heritage, how much time have you actually spent in Ireland? What part of the country, what time of the year, working/travelling/studying? Because the reality of living and working here long-term is not all it's cracked up to be. There are serious issues in Ireland just like the rest of the world (housing shortage, ridiculous increase in rental prices, homelessness, substandard reproductive rights etc). I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's not the fairy tale you seem to have built up in your head.

Advertisement