Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(DIY newbie here)Replacing immersion time clock

Options
  • 10-03-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Pictures here imgurdotcom/a/HZZUT (replace dotcom with .com obviously) I opened it up in the hopes I could somehow turn it on but that didnt work out

So the sliding switch on the time clock broke off and we cant turn it on anymore and with everyone in the households work schedule we are not sure we can get a professional out to see it.
    Would it be doable to replace it myself having zero experience with anything similar?Where do you even buy these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pictures here imgurdotcom/a/HZZUT (replace dotcom with .com obviously) I opened it up in the hopes I could somehow turn it on but that didnt work out

So the sliding switch on the time clock broke off and we cant turn it on anymore and with everyone in the households work schedule we are not sure we can get a professional out to see it.
    Would it be doable to replace it myself having zero experience with anything similar?Where do you even buy these?

Very possible.

One make sure power is off.

Buy a similar or exactly same immersion switch and take a photo if you get confused easy.

You won't even have to replace back box and just swap cable and switch to new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hdaniel2893

Very possible.

One make sure power is off.

Buy a similar or exactly same immersion switch and take a photo if you get confused easy.

You won't even have to replace back box and just swap cable and switch to new one.

How do I do it then pal?haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Flat head screw driver, and plyers may be needed if new connection needed as screw can damage cable ends.

Remove two silver screws and pull away from back box, you should then have access to the rear to remove cables and re tighten in new switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

It’s doable as An amateur, but mightn’t be the most advisable part of your electrical installation to cut your teeth on. There is a large current flowing to the immersion for extended periods , so it is quite important to ensure the cable terminations are well made and tight.

If you don’t use the timer function (😊guessing not as you are using the slider?) maybe look at something like this, to boost it for a fixed time when you need water?:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horstmann-Electrisaver-E30-30-120-Minute/dp/B0031KCWJI

Advertisement