Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automation & Instrumentation - Level 6 Cert. IT Sligo

Options
  • 10-03-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've just been accepted to this course in Sligo IT. It's a 1 year online course with 5 practical lab days in the college throughout the year. I'm not an electrician although I do have a Diploma in Electrical Power Engineering aswell as experience in the wind industry.

Has anyone done the course?
    What are the employment prospects like after graduation?
    Or would further study be required to work as an instrumentation tech?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've just been accepted to this course in Sligo IT. It's a 1 year online course with 5 practical lab days in the college throughout the year.

Very good.
    I am sure you will learn a lot. My advice would be to try to talk to people that have graduated from this course, assess how they got on, what doors it opened for them, how it advanced their career and what they are doing now.
    I'm not an electrician although I do have a Diploma in Electrical Power Engineering aswell as experience in the wind industry.

Bear in mind that electricians require a very different skillset that you would acquire from your engineering diploma. Electrician's (theoretically) learn to perfect their practical skills throughout a four year apprenticeship. It is one thing learning how to size a cable in a classroom, glanding the same cable is entirely different.

What did you do in the wind industry?
    Has anyone done the course?

Nobody that I know, but that doesn’t mean that I am suggesting the course isn’t good.
    What are the employment prospects like after graduation?
    Or would further study be required to work as an instrumentation tech?

From this statement am I correct in assuming that you would like to work as an instrumentation technician?
    My only concern is your lack of experience with working on your tools. Any instrumentation technician know has completed a four year apprenticeship.

In the 90's I managed to land a staff role as an electrical and instrumentation technician as part of a maintenance team in a pharmaceutical plant. Although I had no formal instrumentation qualifications I was a qualified electrician, without this I do think I would have been considered for the role.

In my opinion if you want to work on your tools and get paid a reasonable wage you need to be a time served trades person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Outragedspider

Cheers for the advice 2011.

I am trying to get in touch with graduates of the course but haven't had much look so far.

I work on the tools now doing installation, service and troubleshooting on personnel lifts, electric chain hoists, overhead cranes etc. for wind turbines.

Yes the plan is to gain employment as an instrument tech after the course.

The worry I have is that as you said I'm not a qualified spark and maybe employers will overlook me because of this.

The other thing is that I wonder is the course aimed at leading graduates into further study in the area of instrumentation or is it possible to gain employment in the field straight after graduation.

Advertisement