Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Saddles?

Options
  • 10-03-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Does anyone fit door saddles anymore?
    I have different floor coverings in each room, tiles and carpet.
    There's no 'flow'.
    I had intended on installing door saddles, but my tiler has advised me not to.
    What do you think?
    I think door saddles will be more durable than any joint between the carpet and tiles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

I think it’s an accessibility issue - door saddles are awkward for wheelchair users and can be a trip hazard for anyone with reduced mobility which is why they’re not used as much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I didn't think of it like that.
    I was just thinking of the aesthetics of it.
    Have always lived in houses with door saddles. Never thought of them as a trip hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Saddles can be a trip hazard, but they do hide the join between two different floor coverings (that may also might be set at slightly different levels to each other).
    Here I used a 6" strip of 3 mm stainless sheet (edges rounded) to create a very low profile saddle between a floating wooden floor, and a tiled one, in a heavy foot traffic area. The wood floor was 2 or 3 mm lower than the tiles, so i glued it to the tiles and dry packed it with some plastic shims on the wood floor side (to support the saddle without impeding the floors ability to float.). It has worn well over the years and is barely noticeable when walking across it.
    20180310_225738.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Thatnlookd good, but is much too trendy for me.
    My house is a bit old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We’ve had new doors put in recently. We’ve put in door saddles with most of them, generally where there were different floor coverings on either side of the door. They look fine. Our house is very old, and not the most accessible in general. If someone with mobility issues is in our house, they’ll be more worried about getting to the toilet than over a door saddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

so i glued it to the tiles

Hi ... I was just wondering what you used to glue the stainless to the tiles.?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

laros wrote: »
    Hi ... I was just wondering what you used to glue the stainless to the tiles.?
    Thanks

Used 'Gripfill' - Tec7 would do as well.

Advertisement