Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous UK import query

Options
  • 10-03-2018 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all.

I've my renewal coming up shortly and I recently realized that my car was imported from the UK to Ireland in 2010. I bought the car in a private sale and I'd no idea of this until I purchased a motorcheck history report a few weeks back.

So when I got insured last year I naturally didn't declare that it'd previously been registered outside Ireland. If I phone the company now and tell them that this actually is the case, will this a) have an effect on my premium and b) will I get into trouble over not declaring this previously.

Thanks a million for your help. I'm quite worried over this. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Depends on what sort of car it is I'd say. What is it?

All cars are imported don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yeahscience

Depends on what sort of car it is I'd say. What is it?

All cars are imported don't forget.

It's only a plain old b5.5 passat. Nothing extravagant. I'm probably best to give them a bell. Can't really see them having an issue but would hate to think it could potentially cause a ruckus... in either case, the more I think about it, there's no point in hiding it. Having completed the history check, it's a simple case of them entering in my reg to whatever their go-to system is, to see if the car flags as an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Aren't about 50% of the cars on the road here UK imports? I thought the insurers were only interested in Japanese imports and the like, that might differ significantly from a model built for the European market. My insurer never asked whether my car was a UK import - which it is, brought it over myself in December.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's only a plain old b5.5 passat..

Shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yeahscience

Thanks a million for the replies. Really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement