Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new Samsung device on Adverts - Warranty?

Options
  • 10-03-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to buy Samsung Galaxy S8+ from Adverts. My main worry is that no one selling would provide with a proper sale receipt. It's either a handwritten note or nothing.

How does the warranty work in these cases? Am I covered or basically good luck buying from non-authorised re-seller?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Don't need a receipt for warranty. Just the IMEI number. 2 year warranty and repaired anywhere in the EU.

I have been reading Samsung T&Cs meanwhile. They do mention proof of purchase. Is it just something they recommend but don't require?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I'd be wary if no receipt available

Even if the receipt was for 0.00 due to a new contract or something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The warranty is with the original purchaser, some companies allow it to transfer so you'd need to check Samsung's policy. Consumer law won't cover as it being brought from an individual not a company so Caveat emporium.

Thanks guys. Strangely enough there are actual Dublin shops that seem to be selling on Adverts that would not give you anything but a written receipt.

• Advertisement

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Strangely enough there are actual Dublin shops that seem to be selling on Adverts that would not give you anything but a written receipt.

A written receipt is still a receipt, I got one recently for some work done on my car. If they are a shop you have protection under consumer law so if anything goes wrong with the phone the shop has to repair, replace or refund.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A written receipt is still a receipt, I got one recently for some work done on my car. If they are a shop you have protection under consumer law so if anything goes wrong with the phone the shop has to repair, replace or refund.

That's a good point. You are however stuck with them for repairs. Also chances are after first repair they do original manufacturers warraty would be 100% void.

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    That's a good point. You are however stuck with them for repairs. Also chances are after first repair they do original manufacturers warraty would be 100% void.

Warranty does not enter into it, it's in addition to your consumer rights. Your contract is with the shop so they have to deal with any issues, which is where the 3 R's come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Thanks everyone for your advise. I just got myself a phone from one of shops in Dublin 1. Even got some sort of receipt. Happy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I bought a secondhand Samsung phone from adverts a few years ago that was still under warranty (It was only on the market 9 months by then). I had a problem and contacted Samsung and they wouldn't help at all. I told them the phone was a gift and that the person purchasing had lost the receipt. They still wouldn't budge. Said proof of purchase was essential.
    I wouldn't take anything without a proof of initial purchase now.

I bought a secondhand Samsung phone from adverts a few years ago that was still under warranty (It was only on the market 9 months by then). I had a problem and contacted Samsung and they wouldn't help at all. I told them the phone was a gift and that the person purchasing had lost the receipt. They still wouldn't budge. Said proof of purchase was essential.

That's interesting. I just had my Gear S2 repaired under warranty and they never asked for proof of purchase. I told them I had purchased through their website.

Sorry to hear that. I guess it is always a risk as Samsung might deal with you based on IMEI especially since they see how many SIMs were in the phone etc.
    However, if to go via T&C for RMA they need receipt and a valid receipt is VAT receipt or an Invoice - neither of which you would get from usual suspects.

Mind you there are some people who upgrade and sells off their devices. I got one previously with invoice etc. Once again I suppose if to dig into T&Cs it was in their name so...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've bought/sold lots on Adverts and never given, nor expected a receipt. It's buyer beware when dealing with second hand goods and the trade off of that is you get them cheaper.

OEM support is a bonus and some will go by the IMEI, some will allow you to transfer the warranty (eg: DELL on their business laptops) but if you/I want the "full support experience", then buy brand new from established retailers :)

Advertisement