Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Greater London/Liverpool City

Options
  • 10-03-2018 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am a young newly qualified Irish secondary teacher looking for some tips on teaching outside London i.e. Reading or Liverpool City. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience on this or would be able to give me some pointers about either/both with regards salary, rent, behaviour etc.
    Lucy ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi, I am a young newly qualified Irish secondary teacher looking for some tips on teaching outside London i.e. Reading or Liverpool City. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience on this or would be able to give me some pointers about either/both with regards salary, rent, behaviour etc.
    Lucy ☺

Im not a teacher but have lived with a few.

For public schools the salaries are fixed and you can look them up. https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/teacher-salaries
    You can get extra depending on your qualifications, location etc.

Ideally you would get a job in a private school (Better salary and kids, but the parents are more demanding)

Rent is very dependent on where you live and what accommodation you want to live in. You will just have to google that one.

Behavior is obvious unpredictable but you can obvious generalise. Rich area = nice, poor area = bad.

Ive lived with two female teachers in the past and one was a permanent teacher in a pool area just outside London. Poor areas tend to have a very high migrant population. Standard of English tends to be poor among both the parents and students especially in younger primary ages where they are well behind the national average. The explanation for this is that when the children are at home or with friends they dont speak English.

The other teacher was a permanent substitute who worked in a different schools every week. Her experience was varied dramatically. Some **** schools had great students and others were horrible, same was said for the private schools.

I think you just need to do your research about the area you live in and what schools you are willing to work in.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Further out from London you go the less money - if you go to Maidenhead then you are on the main scale plus fringe, Ealing is outer London benefit and then you have inner London. You don't get extra for your qualifications like at home.

Reading can be expensive to live in, up north is definitely cheaper. You can probably rent a flat in Liverpool for what you would pay for a large room in Reading.

I'm currently a teacher in Slough (my fifth year in my current school and my sixth in England) - feel free to drop me a PM to ask any questions

Advertisement