Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 SIMs/Phones and 1 number

Options
  • 10-03-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'd like to be able to have 1 x smartphone and 1 x non-smartphone but with the same phone number so that voice calls and text messages come to either phone. This way, depending on my needs I can just grab my smartphone if going out the door to work or grab my non-smartphone if going for a walk or somewhere I don't want the distraction of a smartphone.
    I see some older threads on this but just wanted to see if there are any new options people may be aware of these days.
    I also see that some overseas operators offer this as a service but do any Irish mobile operators offer it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You could do it with a SIP service on two smartphones with data plans. You can't do it with a dumbphone though. No MNOs here offer a multisim number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

As it's not something that any of the networks currently support, the only way you could do it is to use call forwarding. That won't work for texts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnebhoy99

Thanks. I've decide to go for a data only SIM on my smartphone and then move my main phone number to my dumbphone for voice/texts so that I don't have to be beholden to my smartphone always and wherever I go as I find it can suck the life and energy out of you and it can be extremely anti social in company.
    The two SIMs/1 number option isn't available in Ireland so this is a next best solution for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It's odd they don't implement some of these things.

The networks around the world are pretty much "off the shelf". Eir for example just using whatever the latest incarnation of Ericsson's platform for mobile and Vodafone is doing similar. Three seem to use Nokia.

If those support it, which they likely do, it's only a matter of switching it on.

They all could provide a lot more services than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Their OSS is off the shelf, their billing platforms which is highly integrated into them often aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I'd like to be able to have 1 x smartphone and 1 x non-smartphone but with the same phone number so that voice calls and text messages come to either phone. This way, depending on my needs I can just grab my smartphone if going out the door to work or grab my non-smartphone if going for a walk or somewhere I don't want the distraction of a smartphone.
    I see some older threads on this but just wanted to see if there are any new options people may be aware of these days.
    I also see that some overseas operators offer this as a service but do any Irish mobile operators offer it?
    Thanks.

Why don't you just turn off data?
    You could download a widget to toggle data off/on.
    Just place it on your home screen for quick access and convenience.

That way you'll still get texts and voice calls.

Advertisement