Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job interview in London - how much to ask for?

Options
  • 09-03-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I am in the process of interviewing for a job in London, and am somewhat advanced in the process. Without getting ahead of myself, I am trying to figure out what type of salary I should expect or look for so I can be prepared if it comes up.

I'm fortunate to have a good job here, and my salary is quite good. I have the luxury of not needing to move. So not only so I want to know how much to strike for if salary comes up, I also want to achieve a figure that will at least give me an equivalent standard of living.

Bu way of a guide, and Taking into account the cost of living, rent, currency exchanges etc, how much would you need to make in London to have any equivalent standard of living as somebody on €50k make?

And what would be the equivalent figure be if you went up to €100k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi

I am in the process of interviewing for a job in London, and am somewhat advanced in the process. Without getting ahead of myself, I am trying to figure out what type of salary I should expect or look for so I can be prepared if it comes up.

I'm fortunate to have a good job here, and my salary is quite good. I have the luxury of not needing to move. So not only so I want to know how much to strike for if salary comes up, I also want to achieve a figure that will at least give me an equivalent standard of living.

Bu way of a guide, and Taking into account the cost of living, rent, currency exchanges etc, how much would you need to make in London to have any equivalent standard of living as somebody on €50k make?

And what would be the equivalent figure be if you went up to €100k?

You need to be a bit more detailed in what your current €50k is spent on?
    Someone on 50k in the countryside in ireland is obviously going to have a higher standard than 50k in Dublin.
    Just like someone on 100k in London city centre is going to be different than someone on 100k living on the outskirts of london.

If you want to work out how much you should ask for then you need to work out your expenses first.

1. Determine your accommodation cost. Look online for the costs of things you want in the location you want.
    2. Workout your weekly expenses ie. Food, Gas, Electricity, Commuting, car. All costs are available online.
    3. Workout how much you will spend on other fixed costs. Phone, internet, tv etc.
    4. Workout how much you will spend on your hobbies and social life.
    5. How much do you want to save each month.
    6. Any other costs you have?

The use https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk to see what each salary will give you after tax and deductions (dont forget the pension contributions)

We cant really tell you what to ask for as we have no idea what your job is. Have a look at https://www.glassdoor.co.uk You can search for past salaries for companies. Note that they are past salaries and are likely to be lower than the current going rate. But it should give you an idea.

Advertisement