Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recall on Fluke SM100/200/300 Plug-In Testers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have one of these.

So do I but it's from Aldi not Fluke...wanna trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't see been an issue keeping it to be honest.

Yurp, so would I. I ain't afraid o' no 10mA*
    Anyone stealin' my tools gets a shock?..callit a feature :D

*@ 230V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yurp, so would I. I ain't afraid o' no 10mA*
    Anyone stealin' my tools gets a shock?..callit a feature :D

*@ 230V

* 10ma will likely feel the same whatever the originating voltage. But for non varying, given conditions, it will only be 10ma at a certain voltage.

• Advertisement

Deleted last post after the penny dropped. Yeah fair enough. If I am the circuit 10mA is 10mA...I was thinking resistance and capacitance of skin which isn't relevant if I'm a constant current circuit component.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Deleted last post after the penny dropped. Yeah fair enough. If I am the circuit 10mA is 10mA...I was thinking resistance and capacitance of skin which isn't relevant if I'm a constant current circuit component.

If you have 10ma from 110v, to then get 10ma from 230 with everythong else equal, requires very loose/light contact points, which will cause more burning at those now higher resistance points than 110v would. Its like adding in 2 resistors to the circuit, with the 10ma now dissipating some watts or milliwatts there. So the skin resistance can be relevant. A bit of water on them makes a massive difference too. Its a poor conductor, but a fingerprint size water layer only microns thick, is a huge CSA:conductor length ratio. So is a great conductor compared to dry skin.

So the skin resistance is usually the variable bit. I tried an ammeter in series with myself and 110v before, (some would say:eek:), no more than 15ma could I get it to. 230v will not be attempted there:D

I managed to vapourise a M8 brass rod once upon a time while....let's callit testing the rupture current of a 200A forklift fuse with 48VDC. whistling.gif

All well & good being complacent with ELV cos ya can't get electrocuted but ya can still get burned and sprayed with plasma...

Incidentally, the fuse didn't blow.

Dropped to 80A after that..
    ....still curious whether them Chinese are lying or not on the ratings, one of these days I'll get a few sacrificial fuses, a mean enough battery, welders suit and a clamp meter for the official tests.

As for being the circuit...I've been known to do it in parallel after metering it for quick and dirty diagnostics, I tend to avoid being a fuse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

If you have no floating earth fault on a circuit you should no real worry using the tester. You could do a pre check with a multimeter first if you are that worried.

Does the same risk not apply if one was to carry out a EFL test or RCD check on a circuit.

Advertisement