Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PandawasteRecycling Charge 2018

• 09-03-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just received this nonsense from panda waste, I for one won't pay for recycling instead it will all go into my general waste and they can pick it out if they wish.

Dear Panda Customer,

Panda collects and processes 100,000 tons per annum of mixed dry recyclables from over a quarter of a million homes across Ireland and many commercial businesses.

Recycling is a Global business and for more than a decade China has been the main processor of recyclables, not just from Europe, but also for much of the world. For a variety of reasons, including high levels of contamination, China has recently stopped accepting recycling material from outside its own borders. So with China closed as an outlet, the cost of recycling worldwide has escalated dramatically as more companies world-wide jostle for access to reduced outlets in the rest of the world.

Panda is committed to recycling in Ireland and in order to maintain Ireland's excellent recycling rate, it is critical that the cost of recycling is met. Unfortunately, to meet increasing costs, we have to introduce charges for the recycling bin collection service. However, these charges will be relatively small and will be used to help maintain a sustainable recycling culture in Ireland.

Specifically, we will be charging just 80 cents per lift of your recycling bin and 4.5 cents per kg to collect, process and transport your recyclables, a relatively small price to pay to be able to continue to recycle in a sustainable manner for future generations.

Taking this charge into account Panda are still cheaper than the County Council were charging for their service 12 years ago when we first entered the market. Panda have since expanded the service to include a brown bin service for organic waste and a bin-washing service for all bins.

In accordance with clause 3 of our Terms and Conditions , we hereby give you notice of our intention to vary the price as stated above and such recycling charges will come into effect on 19th April 2018.

Yours sincerely,

Panda Customer Care Team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Not much point in putting it into your general waste, it will just end up costing you even more money per KG.

There’s a genuine waste crisis at the moment. They’re not making it up.

Failed policy both at Irish and EU level that was utterly dependent on exporting waste to China. We need to be able to recover this waste in Ireland. Also we need to massively reduce the use of plastic at the supply end.

Otherwise, this is where we are headed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Not much point in putting it into your general waste, it will just end up costing you even more money per KG.

There’s a genuine waste crisis at the moment. They’re not making it up.

Failed policy both at Irish and EU level that was utterly dependent on exporting waste to China. We need to be able to recover this waste in Ireland. Also we need to massively reduce the use of plastic at the supply end.

Otherwise, this is where we are headed!

Their crisis is not my crisis and I for one won't foot the bill for it, if they want people to continue to recycle I suggest charging them is not the way to go.
    Again charging people for waste is nonsense it should be included in the property tax each year rather than allowing private companies charge what they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Their crisis is not my crisis and I for one won't foot the bill for it, if they want people to continue to recycle I suggest charging them is not the way to go.
    Again charging people for waste is nonsense it should be included in the property tax each year rather than allowing private companies charge what they wish.

80cent per lift is not a lot to pay for recycling. If you really don't want to pay it, sort it into separate bags for tetra pak, tins, cardboard etc and drop it into your local county council recycling depot for free. Or try taking steps towards zero waste and reducing the amount of recyclables you bring into your home in the first instance.
    Why anyone would put recyclable waste into a landfill bin when the world is in an environmental crisis and our oceans are full of plastics, is beyond me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why anyone would put recyclable waste into a landfill bin when the world is in an environmental crisis and our oceans are full of plastics, is beyond me. :confused:

They don't. Dublin landfill waste is now sent to the incinerator. Panda are saving approx €70 a ton on landfill charges, and I imagine are actually getting paid for sending their waste to the incinerator.

so the saving should counter balance the charge that they are applying, because its certainly being giving back to the consumer

Advertisement