Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add second light to switch

Options
  • 09-03-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I've just installed a mirror with lights in our bathroom, in place of the typical light / shave outlet that many Irish bathrooms have above the sink. The problem with this mirror is that it has no switch and if I was to connect the light it would be permanently on. Is it a simple job for an electrician to connect the mirror to the bathroom light switch that controls the ceiling light? I presume that only a qualified electrician should do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems odd that a bathroom mirror with lights wouldn't come with its own switch, but any road...

If it's an upstairs bathroom it should in theory be a relatively simple matter of taking a line off the existing ceiling light and fishing that down to the mirror.

I'm not a sparks though, so I don't know what the regs require for the cable left behind. Is it sufficient to cap it off, or is he going to have to fish it out and remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Just so that you're aware it would appear that even accessory replacement within a bathroom is deemed to fall outside the scope of minor electrical works which can be carried out by a non-REC.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

seamus wrote: »
    It seems odd that a bathroom mirror with lights wouldn't come with its own switch, but any road...

If it's an upstairs bathroom it should in theory be a relatively simple matter of taking a line off the existing ceiling light and fishing that down to the mirror.

I'm not a sparks though, so I don't know what the regs require for the cable left behind. Is it sufficient to cap it off, or is he going to have to fish it out and remove it?
    It’s an ikea mirror/light: Storjorm.
    I actually used the old connection and the light was working, but permanently on. So I disconnected it and wrapped each wire with electrical tape having cursed it a few times. Upstairs is attic space but a lot of it is floored with plywood. I think it’s screwed down so I’ll go up later and see if I can find the right board so the electrician can do his job.

Advertisement