Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal way to maintain insurance record

Options
  • 09-03-2018 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hello

I've recently been promoted and will be receiving a company car which means I no longer need to drive my own car anymore. The problem is that I still want to maintain an insurance record.

Has anyone got recommendations on how I can avoid having a gap in my insurance record? I'd also like to not continue paying the atrociously high insurance premium I'm paying at the moment (€2000 annually).

I'll be happy to sell my current car and buy a junker and then insure that but never drive it.

Is there perhaps another way I can achieve my goal?

caveat: Legal eagle recommendations please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would you consider a weekend classic? As it wouldn't be your main, the insurance should be lower, and as it's a classic, it may not be costly to buy (but may be costly to keep running). You will probably need proof of some type that you have a company car, and that the classic won't be your main.

Thus, you may get away with a small two seater classic that you'd drive once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You only lose the no claims bonus when 2 years of no cover elapses. Cheapest way would be to insure it at 23 months or so after cancelling your current cover, then cancel after a year or ask insurer to temporarily freeze the policy for as long as you can.

An issue you may encounter is getting cover in general for an older car, some will not offer cover for cars over 12 years, not many cover cars over 15 years. Some insurers will insist on the car having current NCT and will want you to have owned the car for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An issue you may encounter is getting cover in general for an older car, some will not offer cover for cars over 12 years, not many cover cars over 15 years. Some insurers will insist on the car having current NCT and will want you to have owned the car for a year or so.
    As a main car, yes, but if the car is over 30 years, the tax is cheap, and the insurance is usually cheap. Some classic insurers do have limits on how much you can drive, though, as it's not meant to be your "daily driver".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check with your insurer about freezing the cover you have.

Advertisement