Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance runaround

Options
  • 09-03-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi , looking for some advice on the process of claiming against someone else's insurance.
    4 weeks ago I got hit from behind by another vehicle while stationary in traffic . He admitted liability , apologised and gave me his insurance details, name ,address and phone no . I reported to the Gardai and my insurance and got a quote for damage repair which was 1600. I rang his insurance as mine told me this was the quick est way to go and started the process. Rang aagin today as I hadn't heard anything and they've told me he isn't answering their calls or responding to any correspondence and they can't do anything until they get his side of the story. He doesn't live far from me and seems decent enough , I'm guessing theres just no incentive for him to do it in a hurry.
    My second option is to claim off my own insurance , pay the xcess and leave it to the insurance companies to argue about , hoping it gets sorted before my renewal.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you claim off your own policy there's no excess. They will chase the other side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Do you lose your No Claims Discount claiming off you own insurance?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Do you lose your No Claims Discount claiming off you own insurance?

Nate

Have protected ncb with a small excess . Are my insurance likely to pursue the other company or just give up on it leaving me with the excess ?
    Worried the other party might get away with it if I just claim off my own

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes. A rear ender with an admission of liability is pretty black and white. If/when they recover your policy will be unaffected.

Advertisement