Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second setup for working from home

Options
  • 09-03-2018 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

Some may consider me mad, but I am really mulling over the idea of getting a second setup and a separate desk specifically for working from home, and for working on my own projects in my spare time. Why? I find it very hard to separate pleasure from work when I'm on my own Desktop PC. When I sit down with the intention of doing something all I want to do is play PUBG or CSGO, and usually that's what I end up doing. I think it's just a mentality thing where I'm sitting in the same spot that's normally my "chill out" zone when I finish work and on the weekends. I find it very hard to separate that feeling and get into a working mindset.

What I'm considering buying:
    When I'm working from home I can dock my laptop and work on the second desk. When I'm working on my own projects presumably I can hook the dock up to my desktop PC so I can use the second desk and the other monitors? I can set up a separate user profile for 'work' when I use the second desk.

Does anyone else, or have you heard of anyone else, that has mulled over the idea of separate desks for work and play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you can't stop yourself booting up the game and playing it at your desk, you think a couple of feet will stop you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, why not.

I have a work desk at home, and a second 'family' set up, which I sometimes use. If you have the space, makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Danger781 wrote: »
    Some may consider me mad, but I am really mulling over the idea of getting a second setup and a separate desk specifically for working from home, and for working on my own projects in my spare time. Why? I find it very hard to separate pleasure from work when I'm on my own Desktop PC. When I sit down with the intention of doing something all I want to do is play PUBG or CSGO, and usually that's what I end up doing. I think it's just a mentality thing where I'm sitting in the same spot that's normally my "chill out" zone when I finish work and on the weekends. I find it very hard to separate that feeling and get into a working mindset.

What I'm considering buying:
    When I'm working from home I can dock my laptop and work on the second desk. When I'm working on my own projects presumably I can hook the dock up to my desktop PC so I can use the second desk and the other monitors? I can set up a separate user profile for 'work' when I use the second desk.

Does anyone else, or have you heard of anyone else, that has mulled over the idea of separate desks for work and play?

what a huge waste of money - it seems that what you need is a bit of self discipline not a new desk

but if you've got the money and the space then go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

yes do it, if your workplace use docking stations for the laptops they might even give you a dock for home, mine did.

the few digs at your "self discipline" are helpful ha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Create a 2nd user account for Work & don't have Steam on that user account.

Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

eddieb88 wrote: »
    yes do it, if your workplace use docking stations for the laptops they might even give you a dock for home, mine did.

the few digs at your "self discipline" are helpful ha

I work from home, if you can't sit down and not play games on your PC or just do work in general, then sitting a few feet away won't stop you from booting it up and playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

I work from home, if you can't sit down and not play games on your PC or just do work in general, then sitting a few feet away won't stop you from booting it up and playing games.

You have obviously never suffered from a Rocket League addiction :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

good luck with that.....
    at least if you get distracted from work and start playing games at your normal desk you can flick back to doing work fairly easily between the two

when you end up playing games at the second desk(which you will), the chances of you moving back to do work will reduce drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Self discipline is a problem for me because I'm sitting at the source of my temptation. It's like putting an alcoholic in a bar and blaming him for lack of self discipline. I know that's a extreme example and I'm not for a second saying that they are similar. I just wanted to get my point across. For those of you leaving nothing but unhelpful comments, can you picture trying to work from your couch and not being tempted to throw on the TV and watch Netflix, or trying to work while lying in bed and not being tempted to go for a nap.. Anyway that's going completely off topic here so let's avoid that conversation..

My shiny 144hz 1440p monitor is on my main desk so there will be no temptation to play games on the second desk. I genuinely don't think I would enjoy playing at 1080p 60hz, even if I was able to.

I'm going to mull it over a bit more before I make a decision.. But I'm definitely liking the idea in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Honestly if it's that much of a mentality thing, you don't *need* a 2nd "proper" PC; get the desk, chair, 1x Ultrawide monitor (e.g. 2560x1080) and a cheap thin-client to remote into your main rig.

That way, you'd have your "gaming space" and your "office space" without needing 2 expensive computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Honestly if it's that much of a mentality thing, you don't *need* a 2nd "proper" PC; get the desk, chair, 1x Ultrawide monitor (e.g. 2560x1080) and a cheap thin-client to remote into your main rig.

That way, you'd have your "gaming space" and your "office space" without needing 2 expensive computers.

That is essentially the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I get completely where you are coming from. I work from home sometimes and I do find the tendency to become distracted is immense - not necessarily games, but even just casually browsing or checking things or other generally aimless activities, out of pure habit and association with my 'normal' setup.

I've a second (and third) desk as well as I actually get a lot more done when I use either of these, though the setups aren't as good.

The cost will be very low if you're buying 2nd hand. Think I paid €50 for a large ex-office desk, and about €80 for a decent 1080p monitor. Does wonders for getting in 'the zone' so to speak though so I think your idea is fine.

Advertisement