Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema ads

Options
  • 08-03-2018 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its different from Cinema to cinema, but yeah Cineworld is currently clocking at 25-30mins of ads/trailer time.

All other cinema's id say at least 15mins, anybody got there watch set for other cinema times?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and all your popcorn is eaten by the time the movie starts :(

nowadays i arrive 20 min later to the advertised time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was in the cinema today and they only had 3 trailers each about 2 minutes long before the film which was great. Longest I was in was 40 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I miss the days of the Screen when they had "Programme" and "Feature" screenings, the latter being when it said, for example, "Feat. 2:30", the lights went down at 2:30 and the film started.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

15 minutes in my local Odeon. 9:15 listing time, movie started about 9:32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It varies from cinema to cinema but usually around 15 minutes in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Arghus wrote: »
    It varies from cinema to cinema but usually around 15 minutes in my experience.

That's not too bad and about average for them Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They shouldn't be allowed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

About 20 minutes seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

About 20 minutes at my local cinema. So I just don't bother turning up until 15 minutes after scheduled time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

branie2 wrote: »

How do you figure? Who should not allow them? Its a private company, they can do what they want. If you don't like it, you're free to not buy a ticket. Such is the joy of free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

How do you figure? Who should not allow them? Its a private company, they can do what they want. If you don't like it, you're free to not buy a ticket. Such is the joy of free will.

You get enjoyment from 30 minutes of pointless advertising yeah?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

branie2 wrote: »

Yeah fcuk the cinema making profit. They shouldn’t be allowed too. Sure we’d all be better off without cinema.

We can all pop round to yours and watch the latest releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

fryup wrote: »
    nowadays i arrive 20 min later to the advertised time

Only problem with that is you could arrive to find someone in your seat who thought it wasn't booked and you have to get them to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jaxxx wrote: »
    About 20 minutes at my local cinema. So I just don't bother turning up until 15 minutes after scheduled time.

I find though that sometimes - maybe it's something to do with how long a movie's been out - the ads/trailers are incredibly short.

So it can vary from 5 to 20 odd minutes, in my local IMC.

The golden rule is not to touch the popcorn until the actual movie itself is rolling.

Never understood people horsing popcorn, sweets and nachos into themselves while ads for car insurance are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I’d say about 15-20 minutes

I don’t mind them much I normally browse through twitter or whatever while the ads are on (as when you go to the cinema regularly you notice it’s the same ads over and over)
    And I’ll watch the trailers

Don’t touch the popcorn until the movie starts

What annoys me more is people who arrive in late making all sorts of noise and some with the led light on to help see the lit up steps these people are more of an issue then sitting through a few ads.

Like yesterday I went to see tomb raider and quite a lot of people arrived in after the movie started with one fella shouting looking for his friend then he didn’t like where his friend was sitting and sat elsewhere and then kept asking he friend why he was sitting over there.
    Thankfully the steward arrived in and quieted him down.

You generally have plenty of time to arrive and get seated before the film starts so there’s no excuse really

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

At least 30 minutes in Vue Liffey Valley.
    They have about 3 Vue adds that are very long and annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Like yesterday I went to see tomb raider and quite a lot of people arrived in after the movie started with one fella shouting looking for his friend then he didn’t like where his friend was sitting and sat elsewhere and then kept asking he friend why he was sitting over there.
    Thankfully the steward arrived in and quieted him down.

What an ass.

Was 20 mins last night in Movies@ Swords. It's a shame as a regular cinema going to see the same trailers and ads every time you go to the movies. Unlike TV you can't mute them! I do look at my phone while the ads are on in fairness.

The worst was at a kids film showing, in the day, there were loads of trailers, loads of ads, and then more trailers for the showings of ballet and art exhibits. I've nothing against them, but they probably don't need to be showing those trailers before the likes of "Storks". I guess it's just a standard reel they run.

Was in the cinema in Miami a couple of weeks ago. 15 minutes of only trailers before the film started. Such a nicer experience, I had been expecting a torrent of ad's given it was the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With pre booked seating online, I usually show up 5,10 mins before the film starts, get the popcorn and youre in your seat shortly before the film starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was in the cinema in Miami a couple of weeks ago. 15 minutes of only trailers before the film started. Such a nicer experience, I had been expecting a torrent of ad's given it was the US.

I would rather have ads than trailers.

Hate trailers as they ruin films by showing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would rather have ads than trailers.

Hate trailers as they ruin films by showing too much.

I'm the opposite, trailers are generally enjoyable to watch and will get me excited about seeing a film and part of the cinema experience, all ads are a pain in the hole and it feels a waste of a big screen particulaly when it's something like shampoo or Maltesers or that proxy vue cinema ad, I always arrive 15 mins after the start time anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, trailers are generally enjoyable to watch and will get me excited about seeing a film and part of the cinema experience, all ads are a pain in the hole and it feels a waste of a big screen particulaly when it's something like shampoo or Maltesers or that proxy vue cinema ad, I always arrive 15 mins after the start time anyway

I'm not saying I'm enjoying ads but I have had plenty of films ruined by trailers that are too long and show far too much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

CiaranW wrote: »
    At least 30 minutes in Vue Liffey Valley.
    They have about 3 Vue adds that are very long and annoying.

I have felt the last couple of times I visited Vue, the ads have gotten longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭ThePott

At Christmas went to the Gate in Cork City.

I was meeting friends to see the Disaster Artist and I was there when the ads started, they were about a half hour late and came in just as the film began.

Probably the longest amount of ads I've ever had at an Irish cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

If its movie trailers playing i find 15/20 minutes grand as its the beat way to see them.
    Those vodafone ads and the like are torture and totally breaks the expierence. Nachos are usually dust by the time the film actually starts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

As a side note the cinema I go to a lot (odeon) shows a lot of ads you see on the telly such as Vodafone and McDonald's. The laughing these ads get in the cinema is ridiculous. They're on the telly all the time, the giddiness out of some eejits who go to the cinema never fails to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Used to be a projectionist and the ads were sent out by the advertising company to attach to certain films. They had the say on what ads went with which screen/movie.

They were usually ~10min long. I always through the films on a little early though ;). Adding trailers was up to the projectionist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

seeing this thread reminded me of this:

Advertisement