Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parent with points as named driver

Options
  • 08-03-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I'm aware that having a parent as a named driver on my policy can lower the cost.

What about if that parent has two points for speeding? Will I still see a saving or will I actually end up paying more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah u don’t know till you try. I tried adding on my mother for the laugh last year and it went up because she had 2 points. It really depends on how much you’re being screwed at the moment and how much of a perceived risk you are in comparison to your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm aware that having a parent as a named driver on my policy can lower the cost.

What about if that parent has two points for speeding? Will I still see a saving or will I actually end up paying more?

It depends on the insurer. Some don't give a massive discount for having a parent, some do. Some don't care if you have less than 6 points, others care if there are any points at all. There is no way of knowing until you call your insurer and ask for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    It depends on the insurer. Some don't give a massive discount for having a parent, some do. Some don't care if you have less than 6 points, others care if there are any points at all. There is no way of knowing until you call your insurer and ask for a quote.

Adding parents can have a great impact on your premium - even adding both on.

But some companies have penalty point discounts, that you might lose if you were to add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yeahscience

You'll just have to phone around and see what the premiums come to for both scenarios. There's no one defined formula for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I knew adding your partner usually helps lower the premium, but I didn't know adding parent might help.

Would that apply only to younger people, or do ye reckon I should save a few bob by adding my mom and dad, even though I'm 36 and married with children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Magic 8 ball says:

..... maybe ....

Advertisement