Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 giving 20 MPG

Options
  • 08-03-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I recently bought an Audi A6 2008 thinking they were good cars. I got it fully serviced there's nothing wrong with it nothing came up in service but it's giving me 20 to 30 mpg even on long runs it's 30 to 35 mpg I know this isn't normal so please if anyone know why this could be or had the same issue I don't wanna bring it up to the dealers yet because they cost a fortune so any help would be great
    Thanks!!!

Audi A6 2.0 Diesel 136Bph multitronic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How are you measuring mpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Binding brake that is causing drag perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Badly inflated/ misaligned wheels?

Could be a number of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Real world in that would be 40-43 I'd say so on a run at 35 your not far off so as above as others have mentioned its probably sticky caliper or under inflated tyres etc

Is one of the wheels hot after a spin?

Fill the tank, see how many litres it takes to refill in a week or whatever and that will show you exactly your mpg for that period than review if anything is amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Audia608

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How are you measuring mpg?

I filled it up with 30€ worth diesel and it did about 180km I had a Passat 2.0 diesel and that did 50mpg thans a huge difference tbh

• Advertisement

Binding brake that is causing drag perhaps?

I just got it serviced by atlas full service thee said everything was fine except the front shocks brake pads needed attention

Vicxas wrote: »
    Badly inflated/ misaligned wheels?

Could be a number of things.

Really you think that could bè causing mpg to drop down to 20mpg

Real world in that would be 40-43 I'd say so on a run at 35 your not far off so as above as others have mentioned its probably sticky caliper or under inflated tyres etc

Is one of the wheels hot after a spin?

Fill the tank, see how many litres it takes to refill in a week or whatever and that will show you exactly your mpg for that period than review if anything is amiss.

I already did that but see what I also do is whenever my car hits the first red light on the fuel meter I Get it refilled just incase it stops in middel somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Audia608 wrote: »
    I filled it up with 30€ worth diesel and it did about 180km I had a Passat 2.0 diesel and that did 50mpg thans a huge difference tbh

You'd need to fill the tank to start.
    Note the odometer.
    Drive it until it's on the low fuel light.
    Fill the tank again, and note the quantity of fuel and the new odo reading.
    Then work our the distance covered per unit of fuel (mpg, Litre per 100km, km/L or what have you).

I don't think you'd get an accurate reading with €30 euro of fuel. You'd never be sure unless you fill the tank to at the start and end of the measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Does it have the emissions fix done on it? Lower mpg is reported after this.

Or is the DPF regenerating very often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Surely an average mpg value is recorded on the computer interface somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are you driving this mainly in a city? It's an automatic so they are generally a bit more thirsty than manila cars.
    I wouldn't bother using the cars read out to give an accurate reading.
    Take the advice given and do a brim to brim test.
    Note your driving style as well.
    Are all tyres at the right pressure?
    Is it Smokey? Just cause you had it serviced doesn't mean there is nothing else wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well there's something amiss, and I personally suspect that gearbox.

The Multitronic CVT box in that generation of Audi is not renowned for its quality or economy. Imagine it's like driving with a slipping clutch so overrevving everywhere.

I'd get a full diagnostic and software updates done, including for that gearbox and go from there.

Google Multitronic problems if you want to scare yourself.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Audia608 wrote: »
    I just got it serviced by atlas full service thee said everything was fine except the front shocks brake pads needed attention

They could have fitted something incorrectly. After a decent drive I'd be checking all the wheels to see if any are hotter than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

fleet wrote: »
    You'd need to fill the tank to start.
    Note the odometer.
    Drive it until it's on the low fuel light.
    Fill the tank again, and note the quantity of fuel and the new odo reading.
    Then work our the distance covered per unit of fuel (mpg, Litre per 100km, km/L or what have you).

I don't think you'd get an accurate reading with €30 euro of fuel. You'd never be sure unless you fill the tank to at the start and end of the measurements.
    Do this OP, anything else is speculation and guesses.

Advertisement