Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regs for fun

Options
  • 08-03-2018 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Just to brighten up the electrical section of this forum i thought i might be good to have a thread to debate some of the rules, regs and common practices of the electrical practice and to bring up some stories of the horrors we have come across down through the years

What are ye're thoughts on the regs where it states that the supply cable within a switchroom shall not exceed 3m? I am sure ye have come across switchrooms where it has been longer.

Wiring in building voids and cavity walls the cable does not require any mechanical protection. I have come across a house where no chases were done on the internal leaf of the external walls all cabling was ran down the cavity.

Please note this thread is created in the interest of good fun lets not get too serious

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tweek84 wrote: »
    What are ye're thoughts on the regs where it states that the supply cable within a switchroom shall not exceed 3m?

What regulation is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Good thread.It would be nice to list common or regs you might not be aware of.

Every M.C.C I have been in the mains have followed under a chamber or ladder rack for a few meters. I was in a new one recently HT lines 10-12m easy before Air circuit breaker.

I am sure Meter tails have to be protected in cavities?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

2011 wrote: »
    What regulation is that?

539.3 it relates to the main feed for a building if a switchroom is provided. I don't have the regs book with me now at the moment

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tweek84 wrote: »
    539.3 it relates to the main feed for a building if a switchroom is provided. I don't have the regs book with me now at the moment

I never knew that to be honest.

When I read the relevant part of that regulation (that applies to main switch rooms) it actually says "The supply cable within the switch room shall not exceed 3m in length". So it comes down to how "within" is defined. When I think of the main switch rooms I have been in these cables (LV, MV or HV) is often in a trench or pass through a technical gallery located below the switch room.

Funnily enough surveying a main switch room with ESBN a few weeks ago in a very prominent (and quite new) building where this regulation is definitely breached.

2011 wrote: »
    I never knew that to be honest.

When I read the relevant part of that regulation (that applies to main switch rooms) it actually says "The supply cable within the switch room shall not exceed 3m in length". So it comes down to how "within" is defined. When I think of the main switch rooms I have been in these cables (LV, MV or HV) is often in a trench or pass through a technical gallery located below the switch room.

Funnily enough surveying a main switch room with ESBN a few weeks ago in a very prominent (and quite new) building where this regulation is definitely breached.

Yeah some of the regulations are a bit mad, i am looking forward to the new regs in the next year or two it should make for good reading :eek:

• Advertisement

Just read another thread about external lighting......What are other thoughts and views on under ground cables having a minimum CSA of 6mm? It is inforced by some engineers.
    It is over looked in the regs by alot of people probably for a good reason ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Silly. I can understand the one with the Earth being a minimum of 16mm^2 when unprotected.

I see the 18th edition is soon on the table in the uk.

Advertisement