Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employees Rights

Options
  • 08-03-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, just looking for some information !!!! this may have been posted before but as you will see I'm new to this!!

Can your employer suspend you without receiving any prior warnings? The person in question is a Reliable member of staff always on time for work, does a great job at all task preformed.

They have been suspended over an incident outside of working hours that they had no involvement in? It is all hear say. they also where never offered a opportunity to speak or have there side of the story be told.

Please can you give me some indication of what is the correct procedure in these cases.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sure they can suspend you with full pay anytime they like. Suspending without pay would be different tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Connemara18

they have suspended by without pay

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

they have suspended by without pay

Yeah thats a No No.

Does your company have a disciplinary policy? where they issued it with their letter of suspension? Did they get a letter of suspension?

Is the company small or large?

Even if the person did the thing they are accused of if they are fired over it they will win an unfair dismissal case. They will also get the money lost for days suspended.

Whoever suspended them is an idiot and has left their company open to a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

How long is he/she working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maccabe

Suspending without pay is a sanction. If this was done without any disciplinary hearing, investigation and without right of representation offered (and all done in line with the companies disciplinary policy), then whoever has laid down this sanction has just made a huge procedural mistake.
    Sounds like they have (over) reacted to something they discovered without thinking it through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

Hi, I'm looking for advice for a friend.
    He's worked for this company for 25 years, he's been in a management position for five years or so.
    Recently he transferred to another dept on a temp 6 month contract, to revert back to his management position afterwards. He has this in writing.
    Now, the company has restructured the Dept, he wasn't officially invited to any of the initial briefings re same, he had to contact them himself!
    He was asked to express an interest and interview for two positions, which he did, one of which was his old position renamed.
    He heard last week that he wasn't successful in getting either position.
    As an after thought he was offered another position, an inferior position, with no pay increases, which he hadn't interviewed for..
    He neither accepted or rejected it, only said that he would have to think about it..
    Once his temporary contract ends in the New Year, he has no position.
    He feels he has a strong case for redundancy, what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

orlaithd12 wrote: »
    Now, the company has restructured the Dept
    He was asked to express an interest and interview for two positions, which he did

He heard last week that he wasn't successful in getting either position.

he was offered another position,
    with no pay increases,

He said that he would have to think about it..

he has no position.

He feels he has a strong case for redundancy, what do you think?

Your friend needs to be careful here.

The company has undergone a restructuring.
    He was unsuccessful in attaining one of the new positions.

However in possible recognition of his long service the have found him a position.
    There is no reduction in his pay.

He is not suffering a loss.
    There is no reason for a company to give him a pay increase.

The company has made an offer of a suitable alternative role for him.
    Legally the company is covered and may not be required to offer him redundancy.

If however he wants out he should approach the HR department to see if they have an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

Hi guys I’m not sure if I’m in d correct post but I’m having trouble with my employer. I’ve been employed since June 2016 and late December last year I had an accident ( not work related btw) and have since been out sick on medical Certs. My income is illness benefit as we don’t have a sick scheme in work and I’ve always sent my employee via email my doctors certs on time. However he doesn’t acknowledge them and this week I emailed him stating that I require a letter for the social welfare stating my last day I worked before my accident. He is ignoring me as I’ve emailed, text, called and voicemails and still no reply. I’ve contacted social welfare and told them but they just said I need a letter and I’ll have to get it somehow. How can I get him to give me the letter and I don’t know wat his problem is either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi guys I’m not sure if I’m in d correct post but I’m having trouble with my employer. I’ve been employed since June 2016 and late December last year I had an accident ( not work related btw) and have since been out sick on medical Certs. My income is illness benefit as we don’t have a sick scheme in work and I’ve always sent my employee via email my doctors certs on time. However he doesn’t acknowledge them and this week I emailed him stating that I require a letter for the social welfare stating my last day I worked before my accident. He is ignoring me as I’ve emailed, text, called and voicemails and still no reply. I’ve contacted social welfare and told them but they just said I need a letter and I’ll have to get it somehow. How can I get him to give me the letter and I don’t know wat his problem is either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Call in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

_Brian wrote: »
    Call in person.

Hi Brain yes I will have too but it’s not that easy for me as I have a fractured hip and I am very restricted in mobility and employers office is 30 miles away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You should create a new post as this is someone else's post.

But you're here now so we can answer you anyway.

Do you have a brother or partner who could drop into the office to get the letter? You could even write the letter for them (put it on a USB) so they just have to print it on company paper and sign it. Basically make it as easy as possible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How can I get him to give me the letter and I don’t know wat his problem is either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    If the accident was non-work related, why does social welfare need the letter from your work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi Brain yes I will have too but it’s not that easy for me as I have a fractured hip and I am very restricted in mobility and employers office is 30 miles away

That’s tough going, your hips been fractured for a year.
    Maybe as a freind or family member to call but nothing will be as good as calling yourself.

Advertisement