Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new Eir cable installed - Letterkenny.

Options
  • 08-03-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

We need someone who can install a new Broadband Cable, from the manhole in the footpath, up the front garden (about 7m), up a metre of wall, and through the exterior wall.

Apparently Eir, or their agents KN Networks, don't do this kind of work.

I've no idea what type of cable it is - perhaps it's Cat6?
    We'd like to get a double run of cable - just in case.....

If you know anyone who could do this work - please let me know.

Letterkenny town area.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have you currently got a phone line into your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Yes we do - but once it leaves the manhole, we can only guess where it enters the house. It appears from under a wooden floor, and then into a phone cable junction box, under the stairs.
    We've tried pulling the cable, but it's well stuck.
    I guess Fibre Broadband wasn't considered 25 years ago when the house was built! :)

Hence, we need to install a new line.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,931 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mrmac wrote: »
    I guess Fibre Broadband wasn't considered 25 years ago when the house was built! :)
    My house was built 35 years ago. Shortly after that we got the standard phone line installed and I have fibre here working off the same line.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are they saying that your current phone cable is insufficient for FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) broadband? Most homes can just use existing phone cables for this, so unless your cable has a fault somewhere, I can't see why you need to chase a new one.

Or are you looking for FTTH (fibre to the home) which would need a fibre optic cable into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Your line should suffice. There's usually 2 pairs if one is damaged the other should be fine unless ya mashed the driveway with a kango.
    Usually comes up in the hall if you cannot recover it you will need to dig a duct
    A civil team is what you would have to look up as they would get the permits to dig public footpaths to the junction box. If there is a duct laid the engineer will have no issue putting a cable up it as long as it's not blocked or has impossible bends that impede the rlflexible rod (cobra)

• Advertisement
Advertisement