Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim

Options
  • 08-03-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering if anyone can help. I was in an accident a few days ago where I was rear ended. The other party admitted liability and it is going through insurance.
    Her insurance advised me to drop the car into an approved repair centre for appraisal. Their plan is to get this centre to then carry out the work on the car. They have given me a rental car.
    My question is when they get back to me tomorrow and say the estimate is €xxx, can I at that stage request the cheque in my own name or will they make me get the work carried out there. I asked if I could get it done myself and they said I would need to get a separate estimate from the garage I was going to use. But I don't want to get it done as I am considering buying a new car and they will take the crashed car as is for scrappage so if I could use the repair money as further deposit off of new car it would be ideal.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I think you can get the amount but less VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I think you can get the amount but less VAT.

That would be right on the basis that if the vehicle is not repaired no VAT can be charged.

If the other insurers are also offering to have it repaired at the approved repair centre they may well pay them directly as part of the settlement.

Be careful not to sell yourself short by trading in your damaged and unrepaired car for scrap value as that might well get you a poorer trade-in deal against the new car. Much depends on the actual numbers involved.

Personally, I would get the car repaired and then decide what to do. You might not decide to buy a new car in the end or to leave it for a while.

BTW you have no legal obligation to have your car repaired at the approved repair centre. However, if it is on offer at no cost to you it looks like a reasonable proposition.

Advertisement