Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear space behind MCC - how much is required?

Options
  • 08-03-2018 1:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can advise: I plan to install a new MCC in an existing switch room. I can't remember how much clear space I require between the front of the panel. Can someone advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

2011 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can advise: I plan to install a new MCC in an existing switch room. I can't remember how much clear space I require between the front of the panel. Can someone advise?
    I'm not 100% sure of source, think it might have been disabled access giving the guidance, but 600mm, to enable circulation in front of it.
    Then you increase it based on withdrawal depth for big equipment (e.g. getting a trolley in for an ACB) or swing of any doors.

There was also something about throwback distance in case of electrical fault, depending upon fault current, but my memory fades there - it's been too long since I've had to design that!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure of source, think it might have been disabled access giving the guidance, but 600mm, to enable circulation in front of it.
    Disabled access to a switch room?
    Then you increase it based on withdrawal depth for big equipment (e.g. getting a trolley in for an ACB) or swing of any doors.

Nothing racks in or out in this instance, bu that makes sense.
    There was also something about throwback distance in case of electrical fault, depending upon fault current, but my memory fades there - it's been too long since I've had to design that!

Thanks.
    I think it is at least 1.2 m

2011 wrote: »
    Dardania wrote: »
    Disabled access to a switch room?

Nothing racks in or out in this instance, bu that makes sense.

Thanks.
    I think it is at least 1.2 m

With the disabled access, it's more if you have to stretcher someone injured out. In saying that, I recall working with an architect on a datacentre in Clonshaugh, who insisted upon an 8 person lift to the upstairs diesel room...so there's those situations to consider too.

With respect to actual distance, I always sought 800mm. with you noting 1.2m, I have a hazy recollection of distance from busbars being 1.2m, and taking 400 - 600mm for the depth of the panel...

If you find the source, let me know. Good information to remember

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That’s great, thanks.
    Drawing submitted for approval :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement