Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging Garmin Edge device

Options
  • 08-03-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it is safe, without impacting on battery life etc., to charge a Garmin device via USB wall phone charger as opposed to a USB computer port, as indicated in the Garmin manual? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Totally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Garmin do their own charger dunno what the output is but you can google it. So long as the output of your device is not greater then no problem. However the Garmin blurb says that this will void your warranty in the event of it all going pear shaped. All I can say is that when I travel I only bring one charger which does my iphone and my garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I've 2 Garmin devices and only ever charge them from a wall socket, one is 3 years old and still working perfectly. As above there's something to do with different voltages that I should probably be more aware of, but I never charge them from a laptop or PC so it works fine for me...

Just be sure if using a phone charger it's not one of the newer "fast charge" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Statler wrote: »
    I've 2 Garmin devices and only ever charge them from a wall socket, one is 3 years old and still working perfectly. As above there's something to do with different voltages that I should probably be more aware of, but I never charge them from a laptop or PC so it works fine for me...
    Just be sure if using a phone charger it's not one of the newer "fast charge" ones.

Doesnt matter. USB devices negotiate the current. So a 3A charger can supply 0.2A if the device requires it.

Only exception is REALLY cheap chargers that are pure junk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement