Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Silver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Bought a celtic set there - very good value.

Plus it's good to support local manufacturers - we visited their museum a few months ago, well worth a visit :)

Thirdfox wrote: »

Plus it's good to support local manufacturers - we visited their museum a few months ago, well worth a visit :)

Local to China maybe,
    It's all silver plated brass btw

Lol - you didn't even look at the link did you? You are probably correct that the stainless steel set would be made in China (just like Waterford crystal is mainly made in Eastern Europe nowadays).

But Newbridge do have the last remaining EPNS factory left in Europe.

For people who know what EPNS is (nickel silver which contains no elemental silver) then there is no issue. So you're not even correct in stating that it's silver plated brass - some of the pieces are 18/10 stainless steel (otherwise known as 316L steel) and some are EPNS (which are made in Ireland).

Regardless, I'd prefer to spend my money €30 for a useful 24 piece cutlery set with an appealing Celtic design than to spend that €30 (or more) for another stainless steel set from some other company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Thirdfox wrote: »

Local to China maybe,
    In fairness, all design and marketing is done in Newbridge and they still make the premium cuttlery there.

But yes, like many brands around the world, the product is made in factories in the far east

They do sell worldwide and have a strong business in the UK and its all managed from Newbridge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The jewellery I ordered arrived promptly today, whatever its providence, I'm sorted for a while for last minute present!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

This - got a present of some jewellery at the start of December - it was completely tarnished by 15th December. Tried to return it and met with the most unhelpful assistant in the store who said "well at that price point what do you expect?" - said I must have gotten it wet or sprayed perfume on it to cause the tarnishing.

cee_jay wrote: »
    This - got a present of some jewellery at the start of December - it was completely tarnished by 15th December. Tried to return it and met with the most unhelpful assistant in the store who said "well at that price point what do you expect?" - said I must have gotten it wet or sprayed perfume on it to cause the tarnishing.

If it's blackened due to the silver reacting with sulphites you can reverse the process by putting the jewellery in tin foil (aluminium) lined pan along with hot water and baking soda. This causes the black silver to revert back to its silver colour.

Unless the silver plating has been actually worn off (which is unlikely if it's a jewellery piece) then the above solution should work.

The tarnishing would happen to solid silver as well and the aluminium baking soda trick works on that also.

It's just part of silver oxidation - if you want less tarnishing you'll have to go with gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Brilliant bargain alert, thanks OP. Am going to order some bits for gifts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For those who aren't fans of their jewellery, there are always the Christmas decorations and home ware stuff. I'm heading up next week, but due its close proximity to a few tack shops and the Lily O' Brien factory shop, it may cost me several times my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Sale in the shop in Newbridge and also some online.
    https://newbridgesilverware.com/products/sale-ie/all-sale-items

went for the cutlery set. looks nice and a decent price, cheers OP.

Cutlery set delivered by dhl - so pleased with the quality that we ordered 2 more to have as gift sets for friends back home.

It came in a nice presentation box too - better than the average tkmaxx cardboard box.

https://flic.kr/p/243j6Vq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement