Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb reconnection

Options
  • 07-03-2018 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just bought a repossessed house esb power has been turned off over 2 years the house is only 12 years old any idea on what the charge is for reconnecting to esb as all power cables coming into the house are up to date and the wiring in the house is also up to date

cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The installation will need to be re-certified by a REC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Richie46

Do you know how much that costs for the rec and how much for the esb to turn the power back on cheers mate

Richie46 wrote: »
    Do you know how much that costs for the rec and how much for the esb to turn the power back on cheers mate
    Really depends on how much work is involved:

e.g. size of the installation / number of circuits;
    Condition of the existing installation, i.e. remedial works may be necessary in order to make it possible to recertify the installation;
    Pre-connection and post-connection testing will need to take place in addition to inspection - therefore the REC will need to attend both before and after the DSO energise the cutout.
    All I can say is that it's likely to cost more than you think and is likely to involve more work than you think. That said, obviously I haven't seen the installation. As for the ESB's costs you need to ask them, but if it's been disconnected over two years they can insist on dealing with it as a new connection with a substantial cost. They don't always do this, however (probably depending on network conditions and existing infrastructure to the installation) but really that's their prerogative.

Cheers mate I'll give them a bell tomorrow ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Came up a few times on here... Ive had to do it on two houses now.

ESB netwiorks will charge you ~80 euros for the reconnection.
    As mentioned above it depends on what work needs doing.
    The install does not strictly have to be brought up to current regs (e.g. the first house i had it done had red/black wiring and the wiring didn't have to be updated to the new colours, but did have to pass the resistance tests etc).
    That said, certain things do have to be done if they are not present. e.g. all pipe work must be bonded, earths ran to light switches.
    The electrician will at least have to run some tests in order to complete your cert - prob about 150-200 euros.

Thats from my own experience - im not an electrician.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate was on to esb today I've got to set up a new account and they will be out asap with a price thanks again

The electrician will at least have to run some tests in order to complete your cert - prob about 150-200[/quote]

ESB might charge around €1100 depending on how they treat the connection if it's over two years. Also the Electrician will not be able to do it for €150-200 - that's simply not a real-world price.

The electrician will at least have to run some tests in order to complete your cert - prob about 150-200

ESB might charge around €1100 depending on how they treat the connection if it's over two years. Also the Electrician will not be able to do it for €150-200 - that's simply not a real-world price.

jmBuildEx wrote: »

The electrician will at least have to run some tests in order to complete your cert - prob about 150-200

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Risteard81 wrote: »

Ok fair enough they could charge that - if they have to run new cables etc etc...
    Since the house is only 12 years old - I'd doubt if its more than an engineer coming out and restoring power at the box - they charge 79 euros for this.... but I take your point.

Re the price to certify installation: I was trying to give the OP an absolute minimum - i.e. based on there being no remedial works ("prob" is short for probably in my post). This is based on work I got done shortly before christmas when i was in similar position to OP. I got my installation certified and 3 new sockets added, they also had to run a new earth wire and price was €500 - I'm making a very rough assumption on that basis.

• Advertisement

Even with no remedial work being required €150-200 is not realistic not least because a minimum of two visits are required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I didn't do re-connection of the house, but did upgrade my existing connection with ESB.
    ESB charged around 1100(this includes new cables going into the house & a new meter) but this wasn't the most difficult part. The most difficult was to find an electrician to certify the wiring on the meter box. 
    First of all it has to be a registered electrician, and preferably the local person, as normally they need to do few visits and most of them not willing to travel. The other problem is that they are very cautious and don't certify any wiring unless they did wiring themselves. So to obtain a certificate from electrician they should re-wire everything inside the meter-box, they will not certify other's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Check with the estate agent you dealt with for the sale. The seller may have to cover the reconnection costs in a repossession case.

Actually ask your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

Just bought a repossessed house esb power has been turned off over 2 years the house is only 12 years old any idea on what the charge is for reconnecting to esb as all power cables coming into the house are up to date and the wiring in the house is also up to date

cheers folks

Im currently in the same boat esb want 410 to reconnect as they want the meter moved from inside to outside.

Rang an electrician to do it says it will cost around 3200 for cert and to move the meter???

cheers folks

Im currently in the same boat esb want 410 to reconnect as they want the meter moved from inside to outside.

Rang an electrician to do it says it will cost around 3200 for cert and to move the meter???
    The situation with electricians is mad. There is a shortage of registered electricians, and they charge a fortune, because by the law no one can do this work without a certificate, and many electricians I rang said they are fully booked

na1 wrote: »

cheers folks

The situation with electricians is mad. There is a shortage of registered electricians, and they charge a fortune, because by the law no one can do this work without a certificate, and many electricians I rang said they are fully booked
    I don't think they charge a fortune. What you need to remember is that they are businesses and therefore have to maintain the cost of running a business in addition to what they personally profit from the work. I can assure you that the cost of operating a business is substantial.

As for your other point, yes many are booked out for long periods. Added to that is the fact that it isn't easy to source extra pairs of hands because everyone is busy.

cheers folks

I don't think they charge a fortune. What you need to remember is that they are businesses and therefore have to maintain the cost of running a business in addition to what they personally profit from the work. I can assure you that the cost of operating a business is substantial.

As for your other point, yes many are booked out for long periods. Added to that is the fact that it isn't easy to source extra pairs of hands because everyone is busy.
    Are you trying to say that the "electrical business" is 2-3 times more expensive than in other EU countries?
    Why don't  we have the same difference in other a businsses? I don't think so.
    The gas boiler service man charges 70-80 euro a visit, which includes travel time etc. This is because there are quite a few companies around, and they have to compete. They even provide some free gifts if you agree to do a service with them.

The ONLY electrician I have has charged me around 400-500 euro for a small work (All other electricians just refused to do the work)
    Providing I made all the preparations myself, and what he needed to do is to screw in the fuse box, connect the cables & MCBs. I could  do this myself in 3-4 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Do the posters in this thread realize that Contractors allow roughly 2 days/16 hours for testing, commissioning and signing of certs for jobs? It’s not just a signature on a bit of paper. It’s a legal document with 6/7 items to be filled per circuit and approx 10-20 circuits per standard domestic installation. You can’t just copy and paste!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Get on the ball ASAP. After my electrician was finished with the recertification, it still took the esb weeks to come out and pop back in the fuse in the meter box, a five minute job.

BarraOG wrote: »
    Get on the ball ASAP. After my electrician was finished with the recertification, it still took the esb weeks to come out and pop back in the fuse in the meter box, a five minute job.
    Certification can't be complete until after the ESB have fitted the fuse. The post-connection testing cannot be carried out until after this has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Certification can't be complete until after the ESB have fitted the fuse. The post-connection testing cannot be carried out until after this has happened.

Yeah the electrician has to come twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

cheers folks

Finally got an electrician to come and view,wiring is pretty good he has to upgrade one wire so cost will around 280 for cert and what ever else few things

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is a shortage of registered electricians

Why do you think that is ? If the business was highly profitable and easy the market would be flooded.
    they charge a fortune

I agree that they aren’t cheap. But why should they be? It is skilled work, a difficult trade to be good at and let’s face it this country isn’t cheap. I spent many years working on my tools as an electrician, I can assure you it is hard work and at times unpleasant. If I had to do it again I can assure you I wouldn’t be cheap. I didn’t spend 4 years bursting my knuckles as an apprentice to work for peanuts.

Advertisement