Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck hire (or purchase) for barn move

Options
  • 07-03-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, struggling to find a hire company that will let me on a ferry with a 7.5 tonner and or struggling to find an insurance quote if I buy one just for the job in hand because they won't quote for my profession (ie retired!).
    The job in hand is bringing back some machine tools and equipment that has languished in a friends barn in France while I got my new shed built here. It looks like two (at least) trips with the trailer instead at the moment. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,747 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it was all boxed in pallet sized crates you could ship in in a groupage load.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robbair

Unfortunately for me the lathe, the mill and one or two other bits would be quite a challenge to palletize, I was really hoping somebody knew of a hire outfit that allows ferries or a vaguely sensible insurance company???.... but thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

20ft container and have it shipped ? pack it yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how about a small container

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

What about renting lorry in the Uk, ferry to France, ferry to Ireland then back to uk?

• Advertisement

I bought an 8ft container for the small stuff, weighed about 4 tons loaded and it is still outside as a tool shed. This was on the limit of what could be lifted on (with the available plant) in France and was a bit of a pfaff to unload this end, I have pondered that route but getting it lifted and shifted once loaded adds quite a bit to the basic shipping. It is there I guess as a fall-back position.

The UK hire is a twist that hadn't occurred to me, off to make some calls now and see if it flies, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

could the big items be lifted up on to & off a trailer at both ends? if you could get a curtain sider or flat heading back this way and make your own back home

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Robbair wrote: »
    I bought an 8ft container for the small stuff, weighed about 4 tons loaded and it is still outside as a tool shed. This was on the limit of what could be lifted on (with the available plant) in France and was a bit of a pfaff to unload this end, I have pondered that route but getting it lifted and shifted once loaded adds quite a bit to the basic shipping. It is there I guess as a fall-back position.

The UK hire is a twist that hadn't occurred to me, off to make some calls now and see if it flies, thanks for that.

How did the container go Robbair, France tends to be a poor spot for containers..

If you want to Pm me the collection address in France and the delivery address in Ireland I might be able to put you in touch with someone who can help

Once it was loaded I put the mini container on a couple of websites, weeks (actually a couple of months) later I got a call from a tractor dealer who had been to Spain, he put it on his lowloader.
    My part of France is a poor spot for transport of that (or any) sort, it is a little way off the main road.

Hoping to avoid another container really. I am spending a week down there in May, and was hoping I could just load myself up and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what size and weight is the stufff your bringing back

• Advertisement

what size and weight is the stufff your bringing back

Well I think there are 4 machines, 3 pallets of timber, one of which is somewhat oversize, 2 smallish trailers, a pallet truck, a hydraulic power pack odds and sods. All in I reckoned about 3.5 ton probably pack it in a 16ft/18ft curtain sider.

Advertisement