Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vango tents

Options
  • 07-03-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, just wondering has anybody got or had a Vango illusion 800xl 2017 model. What are they like, any problems, recommendations. Seen the online reviews but just was wondering had anybody first hand experience. They seem fairly popular. Was there any issues with the size Of The tent in regards to pitch sizes in campsites. Thanks you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

This is might be too late for you. We got an illusion 500tc late in summer last year on sale. Only got way for a 5 nights with it last summer hopefully get away a few long weekends this year. Very happy with it gives us a lot more space. Main reason to upgrade was space for the kitchen in the front porch and wife likes to bring everthing but the kitchen sink. And the poly cotton is great for avoiding the stuffiness in the morning when the sun starts coming up. Should give us many years of service. One minor issue with one of the stitching on one of the guy line tabs was torn when we unpacked for test pitching. Seller said to use it for our trip and they'd get it collected afterwards. Went back to Vango and came back after a few weeks.

Were considering a the 800 version its only half a foot longer but 2 feet wider. Would have been nice to have to the extra space and extra bedrooms if any one else came away with us but we can always just pitch a smell tent for them to sleep in. Bigger tents are an issue on some sites though there's plenty of choice out there.

Just beware they are massive and heavy tents packed up, ours weighs just over 50kg and measures L80.0 x H53.0 x W58.0cm. That's 245 litres volume and half your boot gone even in a big estate. I have a 7 seater with back seats folded we just about managed to squeeze in everything around it. Will probably need a roofbox when we take it to France. It's about at my limit of what I can lift in to the boot given it's dimensions and I'm fairy strong as I work at a physical job. Thought the ripstop version would be a lot lighter but the 800xl is only 2kg lighter and 5cm narrower on width.

Advertisement