Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of water pipe on

Options
  • 07-03-2018 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I live on a privately shared laneway about 300 meters from the main road where the closest mains water connection is located. I applied a few months ago to Irish Water for a connection and they requested that I install a pipe, at my cost, from my house to the connection on the main road. There are several houses in the lane but all have private drilled water wells.

Do I nowbown the pipe I had installed or does Irish Water now own it. Who has the responsibility of maintaining the pipe and arranging new connections. Do I need to give my consent or can new developments do their own thing. I had no issues covering the full cost for the work but im worried now I'll be responsible for every future connections, pipe mainrainance, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Irish water own the pipe on public property. You own it on your property. You maintain it on your property and they maintain it on public property.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Irish water will install the pipe as far as the meter. So if they are asking you to install the pipe from your house to the road that means they are installing the meter at the road. So the pipe will be your responsibility but no other connections would be taken off this pipe. If another house wanted a connection they would have to bring another pipe to the road where another meter would be installed.

Advertisement