Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP...i suspect my meter "overcharge" me

Options
  • 07-03-2018 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I had a visual reading in the morning at 10ish and it indicated 7004.
    Got home at 9ish and the meter reads 7028.

PV panels generated 12.6KWh.
    I have one of those ESB meters digital, not smart but showing the flow of consumption vs generation.
    Family arrived and used the home appliances well after 7pm.
    Solar diverter "diverted" 4KWh today.

My "stand-by" home consumption is at around 500W per hour, so 12 hours is 6KWh.

I am losing my mind how the neck I can have 24 units used in 12 hours !!!
    What the flowing of the electrons and photons I can do to trace the culprit !??

Thanks.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

I had a visual reading in the morning at 10ish and it indicated 7004.
    Got home at 9ish and the meter reads 7028.

PV panels generated 12.6KWh.
    I have one of those ESB meters digital, not smart but showing the flow of consumption vs generation.
    Family arrived and used the home appliances well after 7pm.
    Solar diverter "diverted" 4KWh today.

My "stand-by" home consumption is at around 500W per hour, so 12 hours is 6KWh.

I am losing my mind how the neck I can have 24 units used in 12 hours !!!
    What the flowing of the electrons and photons I can do to trace the culprit !??

Thanks.......
    You hardly forgot to turn off a frost heater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

The OWL reports :
    Consumption : 21 KWh
    PV generation: 12 KWh
    Exported: 2.6KWh.

EVEN if I leave a device powered on over day, i consumed 21KWh + 12KWh = 33 !??
    ESB meter tells me only 24 units...so where is the difference !?
    24 units over 12 hours = 2 KWh consumption per hour average.

Sorry ... not sense.

OK,few charts here...

444958.JPG

444959.JPG

I'm suspecting:
    the meter - had issues with a meter a short while ago and they replace it;
    the solar diverter - losing his mind and "stealing" ellecie from the grid;
    some phase quantum shifting technology - combination of all above
    my mind playing tricks at this time of the day ...

thanks

Which meter is overreading?..
    Owl or ESB?
    What's the power factor of the baseload?
    Turn everything off at the main distribution, see if they both read zero.
    Turn on the oven only & see if they agree on this too (large resistive load).

Check the Owl CTs are fully closed, and the cells are above 1.3V p/c
    Also you can set the nominal system voltage this ought to be in the region of 230V. Better to find your daily RMS and input this.
    rolion wrote: »
    The OWL reports :
    Consumption : 21 KWh
    PV generation: 12 KWh
    Exported: 2.6KWh.

12 - 2.6 + 21 = 30.4kWh
    The Owl is not a calibrated or precision instrument. ±10% = 27.4kWh > 33.4kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

21+2.6=23.6 seems pretty close to your 24kw used, Esb possibly reading feed to the grid as usage as to how much elec you used i don't know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes make sure the voltage on the owl is set to 230 and not 240. They are only amp meters really, not watt meters like the esb one is. So they will read non resistive components of loads while the watt meter wont.

They're more sophisticated than that B.
    They're wifi enabled clamp meters that have a €10 recurring annual subscription fee to look at the readings.

I have a new one here in a box unopened looking for a home. I need the money to spend on DIN rail kWh counters. PM me if anyone wants it...going cheep!

How does it see the pf?

It doesn't. Manual input.

These do.

s-l1600.jpg

I love it when I have to put a cheapo meter beside an expensive one because it doesn't have a display/display is too small/it can't be trusted.

444994.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

They're more sophisticated than that B.
    They're wifi enabled clamp meters that have a €10 recurring annual subscription fee to look at the readings.

I have a new one here in a box unopened looking for a home. I need the money to spend on DIN rail kWh counters. PM me if anyone wants it...going cheep!

How much do these go for?

• Advertisement

It doesn't. Manual input.

Thats what I mean, it needs instantaneous readings of voltage and current to give watts. Ones with clamps are ammeters really, with voltage setting to give VA or KVA estimates based on assuming the voltage is always 230v for example.

In other words, they give an estimated KVA rather than true KW

ok,I have disconnected two of the major consumers.
    The consumption went pretty normal, left in the morning at 7032,arrived at 4pm with same reading !
    PV generated 15KW,house consumed 17kw over 24 hours...I sponsored ESB with free 8KWh ! :(
    I had to use the wash machine twice in the morning, therefore 2 high spikes.
    Apart of that, normal as expected...

I cannot be sure if that "device" messed up the readings but I will connect only the less suspected one today and see how that goes.

I'm ordering a CCTV camera that can see / focus from close-up and run a DIY fitting on top of the esb digital reader meter. I'll take snapshots every hour with actual readings.
    Thinking also in calling ESB today and check if a smart import/export meter can be fitted "before" FIT but I am worried that may affect the much discussed and waited grant or FIT, as heard from the sources in the industry.

Checking my past 12 months electricity bill as well, to see if is any issues or anomalies there...

Thanks for replies.

445038.JPG

445037.JPG

445035.jpeg

445036.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

But why are you feeding back in to the grid if you are not getting anything for it? I am sure the ESB wouldn't just give you free electricity. Would you not fit a solar power diverter (i think that is the correct term) to send the excess electricity to the immersion for hot water?

Advertisement