Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery Lease

Options
  • 07-03-2018 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been looking at some EVs in the UK and most if not all state that battery lease is part and parcel of deal. In some cases this is £70stg per month.

This is new to me as I thought that the main selling point of the EV was the almost free use of fuel, ie electricity. Now I see that in actual fact there is a charge albeit in the use of the battery.

Does the same criteria apply here in Ireland whe buying EVs as in a battery lease plan and (b), is there a way of purchasing an EV in the UK without the need for this lease plan?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Only the Renault Zoe can be bought new in Ireland at the moment with a battery lease afaik. Second hand EVs in the UK that might have battery lease are mainly Nissan Leaf and Zoe

I would be very careful that make sure you avoid battery lease. It makes sense for some people but for most people the lease defeats the whole fuel saving as you rightly mention. And it would be near impossible to sell on a car with a battery lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks for that. I never really entertained the idea of an EV, just looking and trying to gather info at the moment.

The Zoe and Leaf appear a bit too small. I don't think they'd take the golf clubs. I'll have to look at something slightly bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The Zoe and Leaf appear a bit too small. I don't think they'd take the golf clubs. I'll have to look at something slightly bigger.

The Leaf is bigger than most people think. After all it's not that far off a qashqai in size (in fact the leaf wheelbase is longer by 50mm).
    The Zoe is a much smaller car, being based on the same platform as the Renault Clio (although it does have more interior and boot space than a Clio).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

cros13 wrote: »
    The Leaf is bigger than most people think. After all it's not that far off a qashqai in size (in fact the leaf wheelbase is longer by 50mm).
    The Zoe is a much smaller car, being based on the same platform as the Renault Clio (although it does have more interior and boot space than a Clio).

Thanks for that. I'll have a look over the next few weeks. They look fairly small on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yeah... looks can be deceptive. If anything the Leaf is a bit of a porker:

U5dtP5s5dmc4F5XTsP1dgNwS1CUsCD9_1680x8400

• Advertisement
Advertisement