Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-teaching jobs for teachers?

Options
  • 06-03-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Apologies if this is not quite the right forum but I wasn't sure where it should go.

I qualified as a teacher in the UK (after 2014, unfortunately) and have worked in a couple of well regarded schools there. Prior to teaching I worked one café job and otherwise worked in childcare and taught English abroad (without a qualification). I have wanted to move home for a little while but after my father's health began to decline late last year I felt I had to.

I can register with the teaching council with conditions but I am reluctant to as it costs the best part of €400 just for the assessment and I have no idea what those conditions might be or how much they would cost.

So that leaves me looking for work outside teaching. In the UK ex-teacher friends work in other roles in school, in educational publishers, educational travel agencies, educational recruitment agencies etc. but I don't seem to be able to find any roles like that available.

What do ex-teachers do here? How do I go about finding work? I want to work in a related field as I do want to teach again eventually. However would also be happy to work outside education but I feel like every job I apply for I'm getting turned down from because I don't have a poxy business degree. Are there any jobs/careers in Ireland where any of my experience would be valued?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you want to work in teaching again you will have to go through the assessment process at some stage. If you have the money why not just bite the bullet and get it done? You can then assess your situation.

You might be fine and get conditional registration with you having to do the history of education exam and nothing more, or you might find there is a shortfall in your degree.

Did you get your degree from an Irish university and if so is it on the TC list of recognised degrees or did you get it from a UK university?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

As rainbrowtrought says get it assessed, you may even get a teaching council number to sub even if you get conditional recognition.

You'll find a lot of employers even the likes of retail employer will look at the teaching qualification and use this to shortlist applicants , thinking being that you won't stick around long enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ohiocakes

My degree is from Trinity and should be fine (I had no problem getting accepted on the PME courses, I just chose to go to the UK for financial reasons ironically). Though the only qualification I have in my second subject in a subject knowledge enhancement course so I might have difficulty there.

I was more under the impression that I'd have to do at least a thesis, if not another year of full time study to bring me up to PME equivalent? If it was a case of just one more module or something I'd be fine. I have ask around as I know quite a few teachers here but can't seem to find anyone in my situation. Any UK trained teachers I know working in Ireland trained pre-2014.

If the register me with a condition can I still work?

Advertisement