Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slap happy - Dublin Councillor blames meeeja for slap

Options
  • 06-03-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-councillor-who-claims-he-was-slapped-in-public-blames-media-for-attack-831094.html

A Dublin councillor who says he was slapped in public is blaming the media for the attack.

Dermot Lacey claims he was hit across the back of the head by a random man in a pub on Sunday.

He thinks it happened because people have a distorted view of politicians.

"Of course there are very good journalists, of course, there are journalists who do good work and there are journalists who perform a public service.

"But [some of the stuff] that is being allowed to spread that all politicians are corrupt...and all politicians are in it for themselves - that's simply not true."

The councillor tweeted on Monday to say he was "sore and angry" and that would be making a statement to gardaí.

He added in the tweet that "Trendy journalists should be aware of their absolved responsibility."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What does it say?! Don't make me click things. That's how you get slapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hes 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what a nonsense article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Peaceful protest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Omackeral wrote: »
    What does it say?! Don't make me click things. That's how you get slapped.
    A Dublin councillor who says he was slapped in public is blaming the media for the attack.

Dermot Lacey claims he was hit across the back of the head by a random man in a pub on Sunday.

He thinks it happened because people have a distorted view of politicians.

"Of course there are very good journalists, of course, there are journalists who do good work and there are journalists who perform a public service.

"But [some of the stuff] that is being allowed to spread that all politicians are corrupt...and all politicians are in it for themselves - that's simply not true."

The councillor tweeted on Monday to say he was "sore and angry" and that would be making a statement to gardaí.

He added in the tweet that "Trendy journalists should be aware of their absolved responsibility."

He's got a point , then again I don't know who he is or why he got smacked ...
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Link dumping is so 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How much are people influenced by the media its a good question, there was a poster postulating about the Tallaght incident that the constant drip feeding of ideas from a certain daft left party offers a hidden legitimacy for the behavior.

For the marginalized or vulnerable people or those who are low functioning maybe it does, the constant feeding of images of the cost of Leo's clothes or cartoon that depict a bank manager looking at an armed robber and the bank manager says amateurs! the narrative that they are maligned, deprived, ignored by the state/government or exploited.

Politicians are like a magnet for some people they externalize their frustrations on to them and that is encouraged by a section of the media it's a sort of simpering slightly nasty cynicism and that does have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Hes 100% correct.

Based on what? Where in the article is a motive described? Who was the attacker? Maybe it was a politically motivated attack, maybe he spilled some guys pint. There's no info here to say either way

• Registered Users Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

conorhal wrote: »
    Based on what? Where in the article is a motive described? Who was the attacker? Maybe it was a politically motivated attack, maybe he spilled some guys pint. There's no info here to say either way

there is not even anything in the article to suggest that the guy who slapped even knew he was a councilor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

remember happy slapping? those were the days. Now kids are all sitting at home streaming instead. Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

He got a slap across the back of the head like you would get in the school yard and he's acting like he got curb stomped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Caliden wrote: »
    He got a slap across the back of the head like you would get in the school yard and he's acting like he got curb stomped.

Not happy with a lecturer, doctor or that fella behind the counter in the post office give them a slap, after all, they should be grateful that didn't get a couple of slaps.:pac:

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I blame Trump.

We're allowed blame someone who wasn't there and had nothing to do with it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mariaalice wrote: »
    Not happy with a lecturer, doctor or that fella behind the counter in the post office give them a slap, after all, they should be grateful that didn't get a couple of slaps.:pac:

Joke.

Maybe he knocked someone pint. I know pubs where you'd be lucky to get awayw with a slap for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

He's got a point , then again I don't know who he is or why he got smacked ...
    :P

He made a lewd comment to my grandmother and tried dropping the hand. No way to behave at her wake.
    Acting on impulse, I smacked him on the back of his dome with a phonebook and then acting on instinct, stole his watch. That's all there was to it. A bit of horseplay is all. Now he's trying to make a political football out of it. Never trusted him anyways and CRX confirmed my suspicions when the sparkling 'tag heur' I handed in turned out to be a knock off, most likely purchased at a Turkish market stall. What a spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If this guy were a woman or an ethnic minority this would be a serious incident.

But he isn't. So it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If this guy were a woman or an ethnic minority this would be a serious incident.

Throws away popcorn, grabs amphetamines :cool:

And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Caliden wrote: »
    And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bicycle.
    Oh she's a bicycle alright

Oh she's a bicycle alright

They see her rollin', they hatin'

• Advertisement
Advertisement