Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofitting UFH in just 1 room

Options
  • 06-03-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hoping for some advice here before taking this any further.

I have a large rectangular shaped living room (25sq m) with a glass wall at 1 end. The room is internally insulated on the external wall side. There is 1 large radiator and it's just not able to heat the room for any period of time.
    So the room is under used and is fast becoming a kids play room.

I plan to put in a fire place this summer to replace the existing stove which is unusable (I'm not sure whether to go for solid fuel or maybe gas which could be the easier to use option). I have a quote of 4k to install a new stove, build a chimney breast, put in external flue etc.
    But I don't want to be putting on the fire every day for 6 months.

I'm now thinking of putting in underfloor heating and am wondering if it will be worth it. It's a suspended timber floor with a very thin carpet over it and I was thinking of changing that anyway to put in a quality laminate floor.
    But lately I have been thinking of putting in under floor heating before laying the laminate. Perhaps electric ufh as it's just the 1 room and don't want to go replacing the boiler etc by going the water based ufh route.

Any advice on this? Has anyone put in ufh in just the 1 room like this before? And has anyone gone the electric ufh route?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would look at insulating the floor rather than heating it
    look at why the rad isnt heating it . maybe you need another rad or larger pipes feeding it
    how insulated is the ciling
    why is the stove unusable. a stove should be several times better than a fireplace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The existing stove is a death trap and whoever put it in is hopefully no longer in that line of work!

Insulating the floor- do you mean more than just the regular underlay that would go under any new laminate/semi -solid flooring?

I'd have never considered insulating the ceiling as it's under a bedroom. So I presume it's just the bog standard type ceiling in a 50yr old house. Can't say I've ever seen that option mentioned before!

A 2nd rad would be an option - will give that some thought but I'd not want it run off the same loop as the existing rad. I'd want to get it linked back as close as possible to the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sorry for some reason i thought it was an attic above it. you could insulate the ceiling but probably not worth the hassle.

could you get someone in to refit the stove. what did they do wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The existing stove is tiny and we only tried to use it once and it smoked the place out of it. The pipe out the back of it is actually at an angle downwards! So the smoke is not exiting the stove itself except through the door.
    We had it looked at and were advised to leave it well alone. So we're replacing it this summer with an 8km stove and having a fireplace built around it also as it's currently just a flat wall.

Advertisement