Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wonder Years

Options
  • 05-03-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Americans swoon over this show i remember watching it if there was nothing else on
    Was it really all that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

smilerf wrote: »
    Americans swoon over this show i remember watching it if there was nothing else on
    Was it really all that?

What age where ya when ya watched it? I remember watching it in the mid to late 90s when I was 12 or 13 and relating it to it massively. I dont know anyone else who really watched it though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'd say keep it as a fond memory myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I think it might just have been more relatable to Americans generally. I feel like it's something everybody was aware of, but nobody Loved, although that's not what you'll be told of you put same on FB.
    I'm sure there's a certain age it got better with a well. I'm an 83 baby (cryptic username or wha?), and to me it was in the 'nothing else on' category as well. Anyways thought main young guy was really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

duffman13 wrote: »
    What age where ya when ya watched it? I remember watching it in the mid to late 90s when I was 12 or 13 and relating it to it massively. I dont know anyone else who really watched it though
    I was born in 1980 so maybe I was too old I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Was glued to it every week. Winnie Cooper - dayum.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Not a hint of a boob tho and continued that way for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sugarlumps wrote: »

I never got the appeal back in the day.

she looks a little odd today

nWLuw2E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't seen the show in years but I remember thinking it was pretty good. I remember one episode where the protagonist throws a party while his parents are away and things get out of hand and the place gets wrecked. When his parents return and see the damage, and are about to ground him for life, the older kid - who always acted like an arse on the show - surprisingly ended up taking the rap for it. I remember thinking that was a great moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

glasso wrote: »
    she looks a little odd today

nWLuw2E.jpg

She became a tramp basically ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it aired between 88 and 93 so I was in mid to late teens and as others have found it was a only watch if nothing else was on show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I liked it, yeah. I don't remember watching much else with a family setting/element (or school) when I was growing up. Presume RTE 2 had it at the time. Winnie was all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Loved it until Kevin was in the 10th grade, still had it it's moments but not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have this and Boy Meets World on a hard drive. Have never seen either. Maybe an odd episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    She became a tramp basically ;)

Her Wikipedia entry suggests otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I remember watching this show in the late 80s early 90s and loving it. It’s funny that when watching it then the setting late 60s America seemed like so long ago. When I think of 20 years ago now,1998, it doesn’t seem nearly as long or as much as a different age. I loved Kevin and Winnie and Kevin’s mother was so typically American mom. Did he have a hippy sister also and his brother went to Nam?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was a good coming of age tv show and the fact that it was set in the 60's meant it aged better than something set at the current time. Also the way it was made viewed through Kevin's eyes and how he viewed his parents teachers etc made it different to the usual sitcom setup.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And to think when he grew up he became a Wet/Sticky Bandit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I loved 60s music back when it aired, and still do now. So I really liked that about the show.

Due to music rights they had to cut some out on dvd.

Advertisement