Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internal wall insulation for timber frame house

• 05-03-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I am looking to upgrade the internal wall insulation (only external facing walls) in my hall, landing, and downstairs toilet. My house was built in 2005 and not too well. Some years ago I completely gutted the box room. I found the vapour barrier was loosely hanging thin polythene crap + badly fitted yellow fibre insulation. The hole around the vent was not insulated at all and more air came in from the cavity than from the outside, also the area around the window was not insulated. I put in better insulation, added a cellulose vapour barrier and sealed around the window & floor with Siga tape. I also upgraded all windows and sealed them with the tape as well. This made a big difference.
    I got a thermal scan done of the house after which showed I had air leakage at every joint between the internal and external walls - I previously found there's no insulation here.
    I want to remove the all the plasterboard and install better wool insulation + vapour barrier same as before (I still have a lot left over). However this time I want to add 52.5mm insulated plasterboard on top of this. Is there an issue with this? My studs are 90mm-100mm deep. I remember researching this before and things like dew point etc came up. I understand air tightness is a key but I'd also like to add the extra bit of insulation even if its 37mm.
    Thanks James.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

James

Can you give exact wall build-up

For now can I assume the following;

Brick/block outer leaf
    50mm air cavity (essential this is maintained)
    Plywood ‘racking board’ (should have breathed membrane on cavity side)
    4’’ stud frame (some crap fitted insulation)
    Vapour barrier ( albeit poorly fitted, not sealed hence not air-right)
    Plasterboard

I think you already get the dew point issue (rule of thumb is to have 2/3’ insulation outside vapour barrier )

So assuming you go with 37mm plasterboard that would be ok

BUT really it would be best to remove existing plasterboard and sort stud frame insulation and seal/tape vapour barrier. Then put up the 37mm warm board on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 37 corman007

Hi BryanF, thanks for reply.
    Yes that is the wall setup - I only have ~ 90mm for insulation between the studs.

I also fully removed the plasterboard and insulation the last time so would do that again and seal between studs and plywood racking board (this is very thin).

The lad I got to do the thermal scan showed me where the air was coming in and suggested spray foam - the house is very leaky for air ingress point. I'm reluctant to do this as I have many rolls of insulation and vapour barrier left over so want to get rid of this (in a good way) + I can do a lot of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilcul123

Looking at undertaking a similar project myself. Every room probably needs doing but I'm thinking of just doing two rooms to start, as some seem better insulated than others (similar build from the same era as your house). How did this go for you?

Advertisement