Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day's road cycling in Carlingford - routes?

Options
  • 05-03-2018 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭

My two kids are doing a group fun day out next Saturday in Carlingford so I've the day to kill after driving em up. I understand there's a greenway there but it might not be what I'm after. Could anyone recommend a semi challenging, scenic, hilly 100km or so route? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

fat bloke wrote: »
    My two kids are doing a group fun day out next Saturday in Carlingford so I've the day to kill after driving em up. I understand there's a greenway there but it might not be what I'm after. Could anyone recommend a semi challenging, scenic, hilly 100km or so route? :)

Jenkinstown hill and Black Mountain are a must.

The actual distance across the mountains isn’t huge and on a weekend the main roads from Dundalk to carlingford and on to newry aren’t that pleasant. How much climbing do you wish to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jenkinstown hill and Black Mountain are a must.

The actual distance across the mountains isn’t huge and on a weekend the main roads from Dundalk to carlingford and on to newry aren’t that pleasant. How much climbing do you wish to do?

How much you got?! :D. I'm well acquainted with the small ring, Keep me off the main roads anyway.

How much you got?! :D. I'm well acquainted with the small ring, Keep me off the main roads anyway.

Have a look at this. A few lovely lanes thrown in. I can’t vouch for the quality of roads. I know some were resurfaced about 6 months ago. https://www.strava.com/routes/12157076

Few loops due to lack of roads but not much duplication. I could add more climbing if you wish. Back up black mountain from the Flagstaff side. :p

Have a look at this. A few lovely lanes thrown in. I can’t vouch for the quality of roads. I know some were resurfaced about 6 months ago. https://www.strava.com/routes/12157076

Few loops due to lack of roads but not much duplication. I could add more climbing if you wish. Back up black mountain from the Flagstaff side. :p

Sound man. Thanks for that.

Sound man. Thanks for that.

You can thank me if you survive black mountain. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Jenkinstown hill, up to the mast (black mountain) back down abd up to flagstaff abd up slieve gullion

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Ive cycled the Greenway with my wife - a pleasant flat cycle right by the waters edge - imo not suitable for a road bike though and loose gravel surface in parts - also im planning to cycle around Carlingford Lough in the next few weeks with some friends - park in Carlingford - cycle to the ferry at Greenore - catch ferry to Northern Ireland and cycle back around the lough into Warrenpoint, Newry, Omeath and Carlingford - approx 70kms of a cycle i think - no hills to speak of - but a scenic route around the lough - if anyone else has done this route id be interested in any reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

roadster5 wrote: »
    Ive cycled the Greenway with my wife - a pleasant flat cycle right by the waters edge - imo not suitable for a road bike though and loose gravel surface in parts - also im planning to cycle around Carlingford Lough in the next few weeks with some friends - park in Carlingford - cycle to the ferry at Greenore - catch ferry to Northern Ireland and cycle back around the lough into Warrenpoint, Newry, Omeath and Carlingford - approx 70kms of a cycle i think - no hills to speak of - but a scenic route around the lough - if anyone else has done this route id be interested in any reviews

I've cycled from blackrock here in dundalk, through carlingford abd omeath, onto newry abd Warrenpoint. Beautiful scenery and almost totally flat. Road surface rough in places between omeath and newry.

Ugh...

Well, I didn't follow your route, weather was/is desperate so I followed my nose for a shorter spin. I did find flagstaff hill and actually did it a second time to confirm that the first time wasn't some bizarre hallucination... It wasn't.

2 and a half hours of spilling rain and I had enough though. Must come back again outside of the winter monsoon

Advertisement