Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCIT/ETF exit tax query?

Options
  • 05-03-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭

Having read about the 40% exit tax on unit trusts, etfs etc I am still a bit confused. I plan to sell some that I inherited. I don't plan to hold for 8 years.

Am I right in thinking it is is simply 40% tax on any gain incurred? And that this cannot be offset against any losses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Not as simple as that!

It depends on how/when they were bought. If they were bought pre-2001, i have no idea. See here for importance of 2001 https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/should-i-pay-capital-gains-tax-or-exit-tax-on-my-investment-1.3187588?mode=amp

Post 2001.. . As you say, losses can't be offset BETWEEN ETFs so each ETF is independent. However, within each individual ETF, losses can't be offset either. Hence, if there was only 1 purchase then it's exit tax on purchase vs sale price, simple(r). If they were bought in many transactions, it's purchase of each profitable tranche vs sale price, ignoring losses on other (loss-making) tranches. Total nightmare... you need complete records of the purchases to be sure.

Advertisement