Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident write off query

Options
  • 04-03-2018 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice please.

I skidded at low speed on ice last week directly impacting a wall.

The damage to the front of the car looks cosmetic; bumper, license plate but obviously I am not an expert. It's a 2002 Renault and had just passed the NCT with no issues.

I contacted my insurers immediately afterwards. The car was still driveable and rather than wait for a tow on what was probably a very busy day, i drove it straight to the crash repairs after speaking to the Insurers. The insurance covered me for a rental car for 5 days which expired today but due to the adverse weather I haven't been in a position to use the car at all and nothing has been progressed in terms of the assessment of the damage.

My 2 questions are:

If the insurers write the car off due to it's age, have I any option to keep the vehicle and get the necessary repairs carried out assuming they are feasible?

Is it worth asking the Insurers to provide some additional cover with regards the rental vehicle given that the last 5 days none of the involved parties were in operation for business?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

northgirl wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some advice please.

I skidded at low speed on ice last week directly impacting a wall.

The damage to the front of the car looks cosmetic; bumper, license plate but obviously I am not an expert. It's a 2002 Renault and had just passed the NCT with no issues.

I contacted my insurers immediately afterwards. The car was still driveable and rather than wait for a tow on what was probably a very busy day, i drove it straight to the crash repairs after speaking to the Insurers. The insurance covered me for a rental car for 5 days which expired today but due to the adverse weather I haven't been in a position to use the car at all and nothing has been progressed in terms of the assessment of the damage.

My 2 questions are:

If the insurers write the car off due to it's age, have I any option to keep the vehicle and get the necessary repairs carried out assuming they are feasible?

Is it worth asking the Insurers to provide some additional cover with regards the rental vehicle given that the last 5 days none of the involved parties were in operation for business?

Thanks in advance.

You can buy the wreck from the insurance company and do what you want with it, they will reduce the payout by the scrap value of the car. Only issue could be that even the short journey to the repair garage could have done serious damage to the car. Wait till the garage has a look at it before making any decisions.

Rental is a different matter. No harm calling your insurance company. But even if they don't extend the rental its extremely cheap to rent in Ireland these days, I was looking a few weeks ago and there where cars for 2 Euro a day.

Advertisement