Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever cycled outside of Ireland?

Options
  • 04-03-2018 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I recently travelled to Denmark, despite them experiencing Arctic conditions, all of the cycle lanes were immaculate, they were wide, adequate and had no debris or parked cars. I noticed a UK reg car plonking itself on the lane and within 30 or so seconds a nearby policewoman marched over and demanded they move !

Cars are vigilant and they predict that a cyclist will have to merge (where two lanes merge into one) or on the rare occasion that a cycle lane may end and everyone harmoniously zip merges in together!

I also cycled in the Netherlands a while back earlier last year, and the cycle lanes are huge! (Albeit, shared with mopeds). Again, despite there being ice on the ground, the roads including the adjacent cycle lanes were melted and gritted with care!

In each NL and DK when I was cycling, everyone moved out about 2 meters (more than the minimum 150 cm), when this wasn't possible, they patiently waited back! I was cycling a hybrid bike and wasn't cycling as fast as others in this forum would but the patience of the drivers there amazed me!

Only recently when driving back here in Dublin, I stayed back behind a cyclist because it wasn't possible to give him 1.5 meters, when I had 150 cm to spare, I carefully overtook ... he then appeared to wave and gave me a thumbs up gesture as if to say thanks you :confused: it must be a rare gesture to get the 1.5 passing distance in Ireland then :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Clickbait username! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I cycled once in Amsterdam.

It was in a park and I was really stoned.

A lady shouted at me at one stage. I may have been cycling in a place or direction that I shouldn’t have been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 BeastyIsThe coolest cyclist on_the_road!

I cycled once in Amsterdam.

It was in a park and I was really stoned.

A lady shouted at me at one stage. I may have been cycling in a place or direction that I shouldn’t have been.

Vondelpark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A lady shouted at me at one stage. .
    You were probably on her bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cycle in France every year, bring bikes with us.

It really highlights how little regard is shown to cyclists here when you cycle in a country with facilities and a culture of expecting and accepting that cyclists will be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Belgium. Patient and pleasant. But also expected cyclists to be copped on and follow rules of the road. God help you if you didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That came and went quickly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Where to I follow this Prophet of an OP?

Actually, perhaps he's the guy who was following me - gave him a thumbs up when he overtook me very carefully giving me 1.5m clearance

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cycled to get around in Basel, CH and a small bit in Orange County, USA. And in Leiden, NL. They were all at least ok, but Basel was the only one I did a lot of cycling in, so I don't feel qualified to speak with any authority on the others; Basel was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have had mixed experiences in different places

Eindhoven, very pleasant
    Medemblick, very pleasant
    South Korea - not great, probably similar to Ireland
    Spain - mostly patient but an occasional scary interaction.
    California - surprisingly good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Portugal was great but wouldn't do it in Lisbon.

Cycled in Yorkshire which was mostly pleasant. Like a good day in Wicklow. Some of the descents are surprisingly steep so require care.

South Korea, - I wouldn't cycle on any of their roads if possible. But, they have some brilliant off road cycle lanes that connect one end of the country to the other. Only did 10 km on them.

Scotland, all off road. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I’ve cycled a few times in the UK in Lancashire/Cumbria without issue and also in Snowdonia,but kept to quiet roads.
    But I do know a few members of cycling clubs in the UK (Lune RCC and VC Norwich) who have similar issues to us here in Ireland.

Breda in the Netherlands and over the border into Belgium last year for a couple of days, was blown away by the cycling infrastructure. They even had water dispensers/ every couple of KM’s in Mastbos forest park. Not a helmet to be seen.

Cycled many times in Portugal, France and Spain, you have to mind yourself in some of the urban areas/holiday resorts but generally it’s pretty good and the drivers are noticeably more tolerant/respectful of cyclists

I remember getting a really scary close pass on a road near Benidorm a few years ago, some large BMW 4X4, with British registration plates!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

UK, France, Spain, Italy and all great places to cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

I recently travelled to Denmark, despite them experiencing Arctic conditions, all of the cycle lanes were immaculate, they were wide, adequate and had no debris or parked cars. I noticed a UK reg car plonking itself on the lane and within 30 or so seconds a nearby policewoman marched over and demanded they move !

Cars are vigilant and they predict that a cyclist will have to merge (where two lanes merge into one) or on the rare occasion that a cycle lane may end and everyone harmoniously zip merges in together!

I also cycled in the Netherlands a while back earlier last year, and the cycle lanes are huge! (Albeit, shared with mopeds). Again, despite there being ice on the ground, the roads including the adjacent cycle lanes were melted and gritted with care!

In each NL and DK when I was cycling, everyone moved out about 2 meters (more than the minimum 150 cm), when this wasn't possible, they patiently waited back! I was cycling a hybrid bike and wasn't cycling as fast as others in this forum would but the patience of the drivers there amazed me!

Only recently when driving back here in Dublin, I stayed back behind a cyclist because it wasn't possible to give him 1.5 meters, when I had 150 cm to spare, I carefully overtook ... he then appeared to wave and gave me a thumbs up gesture as if to say thanks you :confused: it must be a rare gesture to get the 1.5 passing distance in Ireland then :P

Try America! It depends on your travels. I am an American that bikes in Ireland once a year. Ireland is fine. It is at the par or better.

Most drivers don't make outrageous and dangerous passes. I've only seen dangerous passes made by lorry drivers, which is the opposite of the American experience. In America professional drivers are courteous and responsible.

If you go to a state such as Maine, then they take the whole lane of the opposite travel to make a safe pass. In Massachusetts, people think that they must stay in their own lane. I never saw the close passing of Massachusetts in Ireland. I've ridden in Co. Wicklow, Kildare, Laois, Galway, Mayo, etc. I travelled on a busy N road to Mayo. It was not crazy like America. Some people were driving too fast, but there weren't the scary passes. I would not recommend trying to ride your bicycle down the equivalent in Massachusetts; in most cases such roads are restricted access.

Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Belgium. Patient and pleasant. But also expected cyclists to be copped on and follow rules of the road. God help you if you didn’t.
    Belgium is great for touring or longer rides for fun - but I'd much rather cycle in Dublin than Brussels!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Cycled to get around in Basel, ... Basel was very nice.
    The cobbled streets in the wet, plus the tramlines can be a challenge in Basel, as can cycling after an evening in the Fischerstube (ah, that Uelibier!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Before heading off on the Hospice Cycle from Genoa to Rome, it was pointed out to us that there is a central passing lane on all Italian roads but you have to be Italian to see it!! Because of this they regularly overtook our cycling groups in the most ridiculous places but never once squeezed in on top of us when confronted by a car coming the other way. Oddly enough, from an Irish perspective, there was never any flashing of lights, blaring of horns or shaking of fists but an acceptance by the driver in the right that this was to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Bikes in San Fran when over there with work few years back. On the main thoroughfares same or worse as Dublin. Cyclists doing themselves no favours by breaking every light. Once you get away from the centre lots of nice cycle paths. Across the bridge and up into the Marin headlands - amazing. Have also done some of the offroad trails in Marin. Possible to rent decent road bike reasonably cheap over there so would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycled in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland Portugal and U.K.

First five great places to cycle - not full of cycle lanes like people who moan about cyclists would have you believe. Just a different experience - drivers are more patient, aware and these countries would generally be more socially mature and responsible than ours.

U.K. similar if not worse than here for mistreatment of cyclists on the roads. Was there in Scotland this time last year on a closed road spotive which i enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycled in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland Portugal and U.K.

First five great places to cycle - not full of cycle lanes like people who moan about cyclists would have you believe. Just a different experience - drivers are more patient, aware and these countries would generally be more socially mature and responsible than ours.

U.K. similar if not worse than here for mistreatment of cyclists on the roads. Was there in Scotland this time last year on a closed road spotive which i enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Thinking of cycling the Camino de Santiago from Porto in Portugal this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I cycle regularly in France and Spain, including the Camino de Santiago. I have also cycled in Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium, all without too many problems. Worst of all was the busy roads in the SW of the UK, where I found the least respect for the cyclist. Apart from always wearing high-vis and using lights day and night, the best safety device of all I find is a mirror on the traffic side to keep an eye on what’s coming up behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have cycled in Spain. And it was an absolute pleasure. In the Salou area , up into the mountains.
    Immaculate roads, very little traffic and patient courteous drivers (that I met anyway ) that waited until it was safe to overtake, and it was warm :)

I went out on my own using a preloaded route on a Garmin, and it was probably the most enjoyable cycle I have ever done.... I didn't even get lost!! :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

France: generally pretty respectful.
    Italy: ditto, but inclined to do some mad overtakes. As noted above, they endanger themselves more than the cyclist, tho. Some surprisingly poor road surfaces.
    Corsica: like Italy on steroids. Also v. narrow roads on the coast, for the traffic. Mountain roads much quieter.
    Austria: as for France. Lots of cycle paths.
    Czech Rep: some really bad roads/surfaces on the EV6. Drivers were ok.
    Spain: similar to France. Some amazing road surfaces, even in back-of-beyonds.

For all countries, it's worth thinking hard about the evenings. Some towns in France and Spain, in particular, are basically dead - nothing at all open, or just a bar, in the evening. Getting food can be an issue. Google streetview can help here. Italy may have the greatest concentration of drop-dead gorgeous towns within handy cycling distance of one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I cycled across Carcassonne on a not that safe hired bicycle years ago. Less stressful than Dublin even with uncertain gears, and doubtful brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Cycled in Thailand a few times, without any problems. Drivers give plenty of room to cyclists. I put that down to the amount of mopeds on the roads.

There's a 23km purpose built cycle track around the airport which is a brilliant facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bleddin

I made the mistake of cycling up the coast of Norway in early April a few years back. It was so ****ing cold! Stayed with some locals along the way. They all thought we were crazy bastards, when really we were just stupid.

Infrastructure was amazing. They didn't have many cycle lanes, but the roads were quiet and I don't remember any driver aggression, the kind that is an everyday occurrence in Ireland. I would highly recommend cycling in Norway, but go there later than Easter at least. The scenery is stunning. Nowhere in Ireland is a patch on it. It's a verrrry expensive country, so couch surfing is the way to do it if you're tight for cash. The people are stoic but lovely.

Advertisement