Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term investing on Degiro

Options
  • 04-03-2018 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭

I recently signed up for a Degiro account. I'd like to invest €500 per month to start with then possibly up to a €1000 euro per month in a year's time. Basically I'm looking for investment recomendations that minimises hassle and which has minimal tax implications to deal with.

Was thinking US ETFs but that's ruled out with new regualtions. Now thinking Eurostoxx and some emerging market ETFs. Would Degiro be a good platform for long term investing, say iver the next 10-20 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Hi, Have you read all that other threads that discuss Degiro? https://touch.boards.ie/search?q=degiro, their positives and negatives are covered pretty comprehensively...

Eurostoxx from iShares is a UCITS fund = major tax headaches. To minimise hassle and tax implications? You're in wrong country I'm afraid :-D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Pluto Planet

Hi, Have you read all that other threads that discuss Degiro? https://touch.boards.ie/search?q=degiro, their positives and negatives are covered pretty comprehensively...

Eurostoxx from iShares is a UCITS fund = major tax headaches. To minimise hassle and tax implications? You're in wrong country I'm afraid :-D

Yea had a read through some of those threads. Is it better to invest in stocks then to for less hassle?

Tax-wise, IMO yes. DIY fund investing in Ireland is a pain, especially with US ETF change.

Personally, I'd look at other investment options such as overpaying mortgage and/or pension AVCs. I don't know enough about individual stocks for picking them.

Going to trade stocks so, what are the exchange fees like, would like to buy stocks once per month, 1st month US stocks, 2nd European stocks nd 3rd Asian stocks, wash rinse repeat indefinitely. In terms of fees does that make sense at €500 per month.

Fees and exchange costs here https://www.degiro.ie/fees/compare-brokers/

• Advertisement

I'm considering buying about €500 worth of Walt Disney shares at the end of the month as my first trade, any reasons why this is a bad idea?

No idea, sorry. As I mentioned:
    I don't know enough about individual stocks for picking them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

There's a Share Picks 2018 thread where people are recommending shares they think will do well. But you still have to make up your own mind. Can't blame someone there if you lose it all on a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

There's a difference between trading and investing. If you are investing in a company you're in for the long haul and expect the company to do well and may even take an active role in how the company runs (writing letters, voting etc). If you are trading you don't really care what the company does and for the most part are just holding on to the shares for a short term waiting until it reaches a price you think is suitable to get out.

Advertisement