Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst towns in Co. Galway

Options
  • 04-03-2018 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I see a similar thread has been done about other counties so I started one here.

The nicest town in Galway is probably Oranmore. There is quite a bit of competition for the worst too. Probably go for Ballinasloe, although there would be a few honourable mentions!

What town is the jewel in our crown and what town is not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I see a similar thread has been done about other counties so I started one here.

The nicest town in Galway is probably Oranmore. There is quite a bit of competition for the worst too. Probably go for Ballinasloe, although there would be a few honourable mentions!

What town is the jewel in our crown and what town is not?

Oranmore is a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Oranmore is a village.

It's one of galway's biggest settlements now. Great input though, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fifijk

best town is lovely loughrea.
    As for worst, oh it's got to be Tuam. It's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gaillimh

I like Barna & Moycullen also.
    Very small towns granted but they’re nice.
    Kinvara also.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Thought these kind of threads were banned Mods..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Thought these kind of threads were banned Mods..

Dont be such a snowflake!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

fifijk wrote: »
    best town is lovely loughrea.
    As for worst, oh it's got to be Tuam. It's a kip.

Tuam has an excellent swimming pool/leisure/fitness centre located in the town park, which itself is a beautiful place of tranquility with a paved pathway on the perimeter and a decent childrens playground. There are 5 primary schools and 4 secondary schools in the town and two cathedrals for the two main religions. Very active drama club, athletics club, swimming club, gymnastics club, hurling club, football club, soccer club, rugby club, etc cater for children. Many excellent local musicians provide music lessons for children and there's also a childrens church choir. There's a popular adults musical society, drama club and choir and there's regular shows in the local theatre. The nearest cinema complex is in Oranmore, about 25 mins by motorway. A Greenway from Athenry to Tuam and onwards through Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim up to Donegal/Derry is in the pipeline and should materialise within a couple of years. There are two 'independent' supermarkets and a Lidl shop, and also Aldi have acquired planning permission to build a store here. A brand new fire station is under construction and the new primary care facility (with x-ray and scan services) is about to officially open, and there's an ambulance base situated next door. The taxi services locally are excellent. Parking in the town centre is plentiful and very cheap too. I could go on and on singing the praises of Tuam but that's enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

the only thing lacking in Tuam is some sort of entertainment centre/plaza. A cinema and a bowling alley would transform the town. There's nothing else for doing if you're not involved in a club of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Mars Bar wrote: »
    the only thing lacking in Tuam is some sort of entertainment centre/plaza. A cinema and a bowling alley would transform the town. There's nothing else for doing if you're not involved in a club of some sort!

You could say the same about a lot of places, Athenry, Barna, and I think Moycullen have no entertainment centre/plaza.

But that will all change in Athenry once the data centre is built. Oh, wait ;)

You could say the same about a lot of places, Athenry, Barna, and I think Moycullen have no entertainment centre/plaza.

But that will all change in Athenry once the data centre is built. Oh, wait ;)

If athenry had a cinema or entertainment centre I'd go. 20 mins max on the motorway! Tuam ir athenry would be fine. There is nothing catering for the North of the county.
    Barna is close to Galway. Moycullen would probably justify one at the rate it is growing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

I'll be biased love loughrea dont really hate any
    Ballinasloe problem so many jobs etc have been lost due to places closing etc

Having driven around a lot of the county this last year, here's a quick pro/con for the few places I remember

Oranmore
    Pro - Close to the city, lots of amenities, Renvyle Park, lots of safe walking, picturesque along the coast
    Con - Utterly clogged with traffic due to illegal parking almost any time of the day or night, train station is a farcical distance away with no safe route for walkers or cycles

Athenry
    Pro - Motorway access to all points of the compass, decent amount of amenities, good local groups actively campaigning for improvements
    Con - deadly dangerous railway bridges with many single lane bridges with zero visibility make it lethal to travel in its environs especially if you are a pedestrian or a cyclist, Joyces are the only show in town for groceries and so the weekly shop is expensive

Tuam
    Pro - It's a decent sized town with a heck of a lot of amenities, now has a bypass (thank F)
    Con - knackers and scumbags galore bring Tuam a poor reputation that has been hard earned and well maintained over the years

Loughrea
    Pro - right on the lake, lots of amenities, good selection of shops
    Con - its right online the verge of being "too far from Galway to be convenient"

Ballinasloe
    Pro - good sized town with a lot of amenities and a good selection of shops, own hospital. Has the horse fair
    Con - don't ask me what it is in particular, there's just something I don't like about Ballinasloe

Glenamaddy
    Pro - Ummm
    Con - It's a really depressing place

Kinvara
    Pro - the quintessential postcard Irish village, similar to Westport but on a much smaller scale, has some great festivals (cuckoo trad Festival and the boats one???), has a castle where you can get out on the roof (the view is class!)
    Con - the road to it, pretty isolated

Gort
    Pro - has lots of sexy Brazilians due to a meat factory that brought over a load, decent sized town, Coole Park nearby
    Con - had really hoped that once the motorway opened (the section from years ago, not the new part) that it would have led to a transformation of the town, instead it hasn't moved on at all with about the only improvement being a few potholes filled in

Portumna
    Pro - if you enjoy being out on the water, this is the place for you, lots of marine related activities, good sized village, fantastic forest Park and a class castle
    Con - not a heck of a lot around, have to drive to Loughrea or Gort for most things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I really dislike Oranmore. It has no character whatsoever and always seems to be clogged with traffic. Parking is terrible too.

It's easy to diss Tuam but it actually has great character and there's always a lot going on in Tuam. I think it's well laid out too especially with the bypass.

Ballinasloe always gets me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 atheercrg2015

Hi all, my family planning to buy a place in Country Meadows, Tuam, Co. Galway and I was wondering if any of you can give me some advise related to the social life , security,is it good area for living , I picked this area as I found it cheap and within family budget , we are living in Dublin and we have no idea about Tuam ,,,thanks a lot

Hi all, my family planning to buy a place in Country Meadows, Tuam, Co. Galway and I was wondering if any of you can give me some advise related to the social life , security,is it good area for living , I picked this area as I found it cheap and within family budget , we are living in Dublin and we have no idea about Tuam ,,,thanks a lot

Honestly, you should take a trip down. It's cheaper for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

PM sent

folks any of you living in Ballinasloe , how is the area , is it good for living especially in Esker Hills,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

absolutely ridiculous thread

badker wrote: »
    absolutely ridiculous thread

Care to expand on that?

hi guys any idea about Lowville, Ahascragh, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway, what do you think of the area in relation to social life, safety and security , access to Galway city centre and Athlone ,,,thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oughterard is lovely

Advertisement