Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refunds etc for those caught up in cancelled flights due to the snow

Options
  • 04-03-2018 6:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what the rules are here. I was due to come back on Thursday with Aer Lingus but the flight got cancelled. Was rescheduled for Saturday but that was cancelled too. Then got booked on the next available which was Monday. I ended up finding a Ryanair flight that got me home this morning as I needed to get back.

Someone told me you get €250 for each cancellation, is this true or what are the rules?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

This is all i can see

If the air carrier can prove the cancellation was due to extraordinary circumstances, then you may NOT be entitled to compensation. However, you are still due a refund or re-routing.

Bad weather generally is considered an extraordinary circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zascar wrote: »
    I ended up finding a Ryanair flight that got me home this morning as I needed to get back.

Word in another thread suggests that you cannot claim if you make alternative arrangements. You can accept either a refund or a reroute from the original carrier but if you buy a ticket from another airline, you cannot claim it from the original carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This weekend I had four flights booked. Two were cancelled and I received refunds for these. The other two departed without me being on them. I can't see anything in my travel insurance that covers a 3' wall of snow blocking my car in and the access road to my estate (I live down the bottom of a hill but need to get up the hill to exit the development) being literally a sheet of ice. Out of pocket about €200 but can't see a way of getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ryanair are unreal with this sort of thing, absolute con artists.

We were due to fly Thursday gone to Dublin, that was cancelled, they were only offering flights for Monday (tomorrow) which we had to book, for free. then they started messing around and letting other people book a saturday/sunday flight, basically trying to trick people into buying them, not showing up on my phone say when they were on someone elses.

We had to book 2 extra nights accomodation in Copenhagen and of course food, expenses that come along with staying an extra 2 days, so were all out of pocket. .. and especially when you know how expensive Copenhagen is, even going out to buy breakfast was a luxury.

I know there is a claim expense form, we have kept all our receipts

surely SURELY they have to give us back something after leaving us in Copenhagen an extra 2 days with no form of assistance or re-imbursement? along with all the hardship it took to get the swapped flight and rebooking the saturday one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My Ryanair flight on Saturday departed without me being on it as my estate was under several feet of snow at the time. Got an email to say that because my flight was delayed I could opt for refund or reschedule. The flight left 2 hours 50 minutes late but when I followed the refund link it said because the flight wasn't delayed 3 hours I wasn't entitled to a refund.

Got on live chat today and mentioned I got the email but couldn't submit my refund form. Was asked if I'd like a refund and had it within an hour. Wasn't expecting this outcome but absolutely thrilled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

My Ryanair flight was cancelled and I got link from Ryanair to change my flight for free, which I did, to the next available flight 3 days later. I don't expect any more from Ryanair - the weather is not their fault.

Im out of pocket for an extra 3 nights accommodation, food and extra airport car parking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

We choose a refund on our flights, will rebook for after easter . Our hotel had free cancellation thankfully and car park fee is been refunded too. Dont expect anything else from them tbh.

Advertisement